Triple L Instructor BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

auberg

Registered
Reaction score
I am very new to diving. (I have my cert dives and card but that's it.) But I am off to Hawaii in a few weeks and have decided to take a BC with me. I am looking very hard at the Triple L Instructor model. I like the features and price and it will fit my type of diving, (purely recreational.) Does anyone have this model and what are your thoughts about it?

Thanks

auberg:
I am very new to diving. (I have my cert dives and card but that's it.) But I am off to Hawaii in a few weeks and have decided to take a BC with me. I am looking very hard at the Triple L Instructor model. I like the features and price and it will fit my type of diving, (purely recreational.) Does anyone have this model and what are your thoughts about it?

Thanks
Triple-L makes very nice BCs, especially considering the cost. I personally wouldn't be caught dead in a jacket style BC, such as the Instructor, but I am sure it's well made and would suit you well.

My 14 year-old daughter dives the Pegasus (back inflate...no jackets allowed at our house) and loves it.

That's exactly my problem. I don't want to be caught dead in any bc. (sorry couldn't resist.) Actually, I understand what most guys are talking about with the bp/w but I think at this point, I wouldn't be comfortable in that type of setup.

Thanks for the info.

I still would like to know if anyone has this model and what they think of it.

Thanks

Frank

Hi, Frank...

I respectfully don't share xSandman3's opinion of jacket BCs in general, though I do second his opinion that Triple-L (now ScubaL) makes unbeatable equipment for the price.

I have a Triple-L Stratos BC, as do several other folks here on ScubaBoard. It looks like basically the same BC as the Instructor... differences seem to include the Instructor's neoprene neck lining (might be nice), the style of the buckle strap over the cummerbund (definitely beter than on my Stratos, before I replaced it), and the extra pocket in front (seems a little weird). Oh, and of course the rather objectionable logo.

I'm very happy with the Stratos. Very solid construction -- which means it is indeed a heavy BC. But very nice features. Hard to go wrong for the price.

Well, actually, you could go wrong... As of about a year ago, the BC size chart on the Triple-L website was found by many people to be on the large size... people were ordering BCs according to their measurements, and they turned out to be too large. On the other hand, I was afraid the Stratos I'd ordered would be too small, but it was just right.

I've heard that their newer size charts are more accurate, but you may want to contact them to make sure. There's a hefty re-stockage fee if you have to return the thing. That's something elso you might want to check with them about.

The only problem I've ever heard from anyone regarding Triple-L BCs is that someone on SB had the end of the inflator on their Orion break about a year ago... the deflate button fell out, as I remember; we never did find out what exactly happened. It was replaced under warranty.

--Marek

Okay, I took the plunge (pardon the pun) and bought the "Instructor". I've had the opportunity to dive with a couple of Seaquest BCs, and I liked them. The cost is all that held me back from buying one. I ordered the "Instructor" on a Thursday, and received it on Monday. I wasn't expecting it for a couple of more days. That isn't where my surprise ended. I have looked at quite a few bcs, and was thinking seriously hard at the Seaquest Pro QD. I'm glad I ordered the "Instructor". I am amazed at the construction of this thing. By no means am I saying its better than any other bc out there, but I can't imagine there are too many that are better than this one, expecially considering the cost. I haven't had the opportunity to dive with it yet, but I leave for Hawaii in about a week. I will try it out then.

The name is questionable, and nothing a permanant marker can't fix, but other than that, this has turned out to be a very nice piece of equipment. Thanks to all that gave me advice.

Congratulations on the new BC! - I hope you enjoy it till you switch to a bp/w :wink: - if I ever decide to get a jacket bc it'll probably be a scubal ... I do like their products... well made at great prices.
btw - have a great time in Hawaii... hopefully our weather clears up for you a bit what with all these hurricanes bringing in the surf and bad vis :(

Aloha, Tim

auberg:
The name is questionable, and nothing a permanant marker can't fix
I've often wondered whether that embroidered logo could be carefully removed by cutting the embroidery threads, like with a seam ripper... probably labor intensive, and would leave a "fuzzy" surface...

Please let us know how the BC works for you in Hawaii!

--Marek

Actually, a blue permanant marker hid the name very well. the logo is still there but very hard to read against the black color of the bc nylon. I really didn't want to cut on anything. I made the Instructor logo and the Triple l logo on the other pocket match.

I would love to dive Maui, but I'm sure we won't get off Oahu. But we are going to try to do several days of diving.

Thanks Guy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom