P S hp 120 and 80, dangerous or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Ernst

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
i have a pressed steel e7 hp 120 and 80 , thay both have the insert in the din to make them yoke, and that is the way they came in january brand new out the door, yesturday while in monterey i was having my tank (120 ) filled and was told by the shop owner that he feels my tank is dangerous :11: as it is being filled to its rated pressure of 3400 psi and that he feels it should not be as it has the insert in the first stage!!!! as i said this is the way i bought it and the shop were i bought it also fills it and feels it is fine, can anyone help on this subject and or tell me am i really at risk here!!!! thank you in advance

jim ernst:
.... is being filled to its rated pressure of 3400 psi and that he feels it should not be as it has the insert in the first stage!!!! ... can anyone help on this subject and or tell me am i really at risk here!!!! thank you in advance

You're not at risk from the tank/valve. Easiest way around the problem is to keep a 6mm hex wrench with you and remove the insert before taking it in to be filled at that shop - that way only the din is there and That Is meant be be used at 3400.

You'll die a horrible death -- send them to me immediately, so I can dispose of them safely!
:)

Mine is 4000 psi right now..... You are talking with me right now, are you?

Ditto!! The working pressure is 3442. I have been regularly filling mine to 3600-3800 psi for the past year now. Before it leaves the factory a tank is tested to 10 times it's working pressure. Filling it to 3400 plus poses no risk whatsoever. Sounds like this guy just does not want to give you a good fill. Tell the cheapskate to fill it to what you want or you'll take your business elsewhere. As for the insert if it was not safe at this pressure they would not have included this type of valve with the insert. Also if you are using a newer reg even with the yoke style it still poses no risk. the newer yokes are able to take alot more than the first ones that came out. this is in response to the many people that dive with tanks that have a "good" fill. As a DM candidate this info should be included in the equipment portion of your DM course. I know mine has included more info on tanks, regs, BC's, and other dive gear than I will probably need in a lifetime. But then again my instructors motto is what you don't know may kill you or somebody else so we are going to be as thorough as possible.

markfm:
You'll die a horrible death -- send them to me immediately, so I can dispose of them safely!
:)
ha ha ha ha, thats great ill send them right away, ohh did you want that today, this was good as i did lol, too all of the otheres thank you so much i thought he simply didnt know these tanks are set with the e-7 exemption, but i still feel better checking with you guys that have more knowlage then i do!!! thanks so much :D

Ben_ca:
That's the first time I've heard of that.... Which shop was this?
oh, ben this was glens aquarious at break water, glen is a real good guy and i THINK this was said due to his ignorance of these tanks, as i have known him for a year or more and so far he really has done me good on bussines :D

jim ernst:
i have a pressed steel e7 hp 120 and 80 , thay both have the insert in the din to make them yoke, and that is the way they came in january brand new out the door, yesturday while in monterey i was having my tank (120 ) filled and was told by the shop owner that he feels my tank is dangerous :11: as it is being filled to its rated pressure of 3400 psi and that he feels it should not be as it has the insert in the first stage!!!! as i said this is the way i bought it and the shop were i bought it also fills it and feels it is fine, can anyone help on this subject and or tell me am i really at risk here!!!! thank you in advance
I can only think of one reason someone would say something like that ... he doesn't sell that style of gear, and therefore firmly believes it's dangerous ... until the day he decides to sell it, then it'll be quite OK. :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom