Tips on diving the Spiegel Grove?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Violeta

Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to the Spiegel Grove next weekend. Any tips would be appreciated... best shop to use, rent a boat instead, nitrox or not, etc.? It will be my first time there. I'll also be diving with my bro and sis-in-law. Thanks for any help!!
Vio

I last dove the Spiegel Grove back in January before she was up righted. One thing is to decide what you want to see. This is a big ship and you cannot see everything on one dive. For my first dive we just swam along the ship and took it in. That gave us an idea of where we want to go next time. Since I have not dived it since it was up righted I can’t give you any specific areas to look at. The screws where one interesting parts to see but I sure the are now in the sand.

I dove with Ocean Divers and have only good thing to say about them. We tried to dive the Duane one morning but the current was ripping and they took us to the Spiegel instead.

We will be diving Saturday and Sunday, as much as our computers will let us... So, we can do the Spiegel Grove more than once. Are there any good strategies for how to split up dives to get the most out of it and see the best areas?
Thanks!!

snowmaker:
I last dove the Spiegel Grove back in January before she was up righted. One thing is to decide what you want to see. This is a big ship and you cannot see everything on one dive. For my first dive we just swam along the ship and took it in. That gave us an idea of where we want to go next time. Since I have not dived it since it was up righted I can’t give you any specific areas to look at. The screws where one interesting parts to see but I sure the are now in the sand.

I dove with Ocean Divers and have only good thing to say about them. We tried to dive the Duane one morning but the current was ripping and they took us to the Spiegel instead.

I would stay away from Ocean Divers or any of the cattle boats. Jeff Jarvis on the Minnow www.hmsminnow.com runs a great six pack. He will do back to back dives on the Grove if everyone agrees. He'll even do back to back on the Duane. Jeff leaves thirty minutes before most the other boats. He'll get you out there first and get you tied into one of the center moorings.

What I would do: First dive go aft; second dive go foward; Next day: go aft & deep, see the props. Have Jeff get you some Nitrox. Just hope for a mild current day; don't be afraid to get out and abort if the current is more than you can handle. have fun

Violeta:
I'm planning a trip to the Spiegel Grove next weekend. Any tips would be appreciated... best shop to use, rent a boat instead, nitrox or not, etc.? It will be my first time there. I'll also be diving with my bro and sis-in-law. Thanks for any help!!
Vio

The current will be coming from the aft (rear) starboard (left) side. So that that into plan on which mooring you choose. If you're on a commercial boat, they will most likely make that choice for you. You'll also have to take what's left from the other boats that are already there.

As for diving plan, if you are wanting to make two repeat dives on the Grove,
I doubt you'll find a regular charter that will do that. They'll most likely
do a shallower spot for the 2nd dive, like Molasses or French Reef or the Benwood
which is near. (BTW, the Benwood is a good wreck for fish and coral growth).

Anyway, for doing a repeat dive on the Grove in the same trip, plan the 2nd
dive for up around the wheelhouse or a shallower structure.

As for gas, I'd go Nitrox on both dives for the greatest NDL. As for the percentage,
I guess it depends on the depth you plan. The sand is at 130 feet, so you'll
want to go slightly less than 32% if you plan on making any sand-castles
while down there. Most people don't venture that deep since the hull is
the only thing you can see. I haven't dove it since it flipped upright, but
I've been told the screws (props) are now buried in the sand, so you won't
get to see them. Mentioning that in case that was a feature you were including
in your depth planning. Anyway, if you want the most of your computers,
then Nitrox is your choice. Air hogs will want something larger than an
AL80 if diving Nitrox and playing in the sand.

If the current is really kicking up, you could discuss with your boat captain
about descending on one bouy and ascending on one down current. This
will take more planning with ALL the divers on the boat to make sure they all
come back safely to the surface at the correct mooring bouy. I'd say your
chances of this with a smaller 6-pack boat are much better happening than
on one of the 'cattle boats'.

Other than that, just plan your dive to deal with a heavy current. It might
not be bad, but plan for it.

hope that all helps.

-mikd

mike_s:
aft (rear) starboard (left) side.

Try again....

:D

Darin

Try KeyLargoBrent here on the board, he runs Bluewater Divers out of Key Largo and runs a nice op.

I'd go out with an operator that knows the boat and the currents. They'll be able to put you on a good mooring and be able to brief you on the way you should conduct the dive from that mooring. There may be an option to take a guide/dm with you and that would be a great way to make sure you're seeing the best of the wreck since it is huge.

There's almost no way to double-dip this ship without diving nitrox. I was there last Tuesday and did it, but nearly bent my computer on dive #2 and I was diving 32%. I wouldn't really recommend carrying a big gas supply unless you're doing planned deco because it'll be very easy to overstay the NDLs. I'm pretty good on gas but pushed my NDLs and still surfaced with 900 psi on an al80.

Rachel

I haven't dove the ship since it has been righted either. If I remember correctly it is about 130 feet to the bottom. 32% Nitrox would be good, if you don't plan on going to the bottom. Since it is righted there probably won't be much reason to although I did love the view looking up at the shear size of it, was awesome! If there is current, I noticed you don't have alot of dives yet so just take it easy and stay tight to the deck so you don't become a flag. Watch your air as the ship can be distracting.

Kev

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom