Ft Lauderdale to Key Largo Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

QUETZAL:
Ft Lauderdale to Key Largo Recommendations
What is a don't miss in that area? I will be there from 9-15 to 9-21.
Hmmm... if I were "visiting" I'd...
  • After you get settled, I'd join the locals Thursday afternoon for a LBTS shore dive (see thread).
  • Friday morning, I'd do a "wreck & a reef" with South Florida Divers, Parrot Island or American Dream II.
  • If you have more time in Broward, I'd do Tennaco Towers for sure... preferable a night dive on Friday night.
  • Then to the Keys: if you have time do (in order, IMO) the Dwaine, the Spiegel Grove, the Bibb AND of course any reefs that come along in the package. I have really enjoyed doing both the AM and the PM dives in the past - 4 dives in the Keys in one day!
  • Finally, if you have time, become one of my heros and head down to do Looe Key. I have yet to do it, but everybody says it's the best reef around.

In addition to what my buddy Mike has mentioned, let me point out two wrecks that are a must for you in the Ft. Lauderdale area; the Sea Emperor (it's actually closer to Boca than Ft. Laud), and the Ancient Mariner. Both wrecks are in about 72 fsw, and teaming with life. The Sea Emperor is where shark feedings used to be done until they were permanently banned in 02, so expect to see several resident nurse sharks, scorpion fish and moray eels; you're also likely to meet "Ray" (a 4 ft stingray that likes to fraternize with divers) and a couple of 300 lbs Jew Fish (Goliath Groupers). The Ancient Mariner is a former USCG vessel that was turned into a floating seafood restaurant, and later donated as an artificial reef. Penetration on this wreck is easy and safe, and is also teaming with life.

As far as reefs is concerned, see if you can do the Pompano Drop off, and Abby too, the later one is a drift dive. So. Fla. Diving Hq is well familiar with these divesites, but you must not mind cattle boats. They make up in humor what they lack in spacious accomodations.

In Key largo, you won't want to overlook the wrecks of the Benwood and the City of Washington. Both are shallow, scattered wrecks of old ships, but well worth the visit. Reefwise, Molasses, French, and Snapper's Ledge are a must.

Good luck and have fun. Let us know if these tips help you out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom