Nikon vs. Fantasea vs. Ikelite for Coolpix 4600/5600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheNitroxinator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After a significant amount of research, I've finally decided I want to go with Nikon for instructional use. Its small, and I think it will be good enough as a PnS so that students won't be turned off to photography because "it's too difficult". The small size and PnS capability eliminates some of the buoyancy issues involved with semi-inexperienced students and more advanced cameras. I also like the fact that Nikon has kept the body size constant to give an upgrade path - the 7600 will stick around a couple more years minimum, and my understanding is it will fit in the 5600 housing, so a housing investment won't be obsolete right away. I just got a 5600 for topside use, I want to get another 4600 or 5600 so I have 2 to hand out to a buddy pair if I'm doing an AOW, Photography specialty, or National Geographic exploration dive. I'd also like to occasionally stick the camera in a BCD pocket during training dives. Yes, I can and will get flood insurance. Even so, I'd rather not have to replace the cameras due to flooding, that's a PITA, and also means I have one or more cameras inoperable for the rest of the dives. So I'm left to wonder - how much better is the Ikelite housing in terms of flooding than the Nikon or Fantasea housing? The Fantasea housing can be had for and extremely low cost, about half the cost of the Ikelite. The Nikon is only marginally less expensive than the Ikelite - I'm at the point of figuring that the Nikon housing isn't worth it. If the Ikelite is extremely solid, I'd rather spend the extra bucks and not have a flood. Plus there are times where dive 4 of an Openwater may be at a beach, I would like to be able to get some pics of the students after the skills and during the tour, so a housing might have to survive a beach entry/exit. Can the Fantasea really stand up to that kind of abuse? Can the Ikelite (my Patima can, but its an aluminum housing for a C5050, and is too bulky to fit in a BCD pocket). If the Ikelite is really not that much better, I'd just assume save the money. Any comments are welcome (even if they're "you must be nuts to hand out cameras to guys with just 4 dives!"). I'd especially like to hear from people experienced with both housings. I'm gone for the next 3 weeks, so I won't be ordering for awhile. I looked in the other threads, nothing recent seemed to be on this particular topic.

Hi Nitroxinator.
No suggestion, unfortunately. I have the same question, though.
I'm going to buy a housing and I realized (I did not even know that) that there more than one available. Here in Trieste, Italy, I found WP CP3 and Fantasea CP6.
50 euros difference. Both 40 m garantee. Difference in the number of buttons (i.e. functions). 6 for Fantasea, and plastic - 9 for Nikon, metal ones. Flood insurance for fantasea.
Unfortunately the person at the store did not know anything, so I did not get any help from him.
Then I found out the Ikelite case. Max depth 60m, which could be probably translated into "lower risk of flood ".

If you have any news, please keep me updated!!!!

ciao

Anyone with any questions regarding the Fantasea housings, accessories or Flood insurance program please write to marketing@fantasea.com or visit the Fantasea website at www.fantasea.com
We will provide immediate and accurate answers to all your questions.

Howard
Fantasea Line

robcap:
Hi Nitroxinator.
No suggestion, unfortunately. I have the same question, though.
I'm going to buy a housing and I realized (I did not even know that) that there more than one available. Here in Trieste, Italy, I found WP CP3 and Fantasea CP6.
50 euros difference. Both 40 m garantee. Difference in the number of buttons (i.e. functions). 6 for Fantasea, and plastic - 9 for Nikon, metal ones. Flood insurance for fantasea.
Unfortunately the person at the store did not know anything, so I did not get any help from him.
Then I found out the Ikelite case. Max depth 60m, which could be probably translated into "lower risk of flood ".

If you have any news, please keep me updated!!!!

ciao

I recently picked up the Ikelite housing for my 5900. Used it yesterday/last night (two dives) for the first time. I picked Ikelite because the info on Fantasea says they only have buttons for a portion of the camera controls, and I wanted all controls. I was going to get the Nikon, but no-one had them in stock (for a couple months). The price difference was only $30 more for Ikelite over Nikon (which also gives all camera controls).

So I shot with my Coolpix/Ikelite. It worked great. Feels real rugged and solid. Its slightly positive (really slight). I changed from still to movie mode (and back) underwater. I like seeing all sides of the camera while UW. I even got a couple pics that are keepers. (Mind you I'm diving in Puget Sound, and the second dive was at night.) Didn't get the big test as we didn't see any sixgill sharks last night. I did get a really good shot of a decorated warbonnet.

Soakshishead

Flooding is generally NOT an issue with the case, rather user error.

IMO in this case the factor maybe if you want access to controls or no.

I would *assume* you would as you are training others in UW photography. IMO learning how to push a button, or zoom IMO is NOT much training, but I have zero clue what exactly you cover.

In any event, the Ikelite, and Nikon cases are both more prone to flooding because they have more failure points. However most floods I've read about involve things like dirt, improper seating, and even Dog Hairs on the main ORing.

Hope this helps... L8R,

HMan:
Anyone with any questions regarding the Fantasea housings, accessories or Flood insurance program please write to marketing@fantasea.com or visit the Fantasea website at www.fantasea.com
We will provide immediate and accurate answers to all your questions.

Howard
Fantasea Line

Dear Howard,
finally I bought CP-6 housing for my Coolpix 4600, and I am satisfied with it.
250 pics, 16 dives in the Red Sea!!
A couple of questions: when the housing is not used is it preferable to keep it open or closed?
Is there any document with tips or suggestions for taking good shots?

ciao

HI Robcap, I am pleased that you enjoyed your CP 6 Housing especially in my back yard the Red Sea http://www.pbase.com/hman/uw_best_

You can store the housings in a dry and shaded place and keep it unlatched and even a little open. As for tips, you can see the FAQ's on our website www.fantasea.com Also soon we will be offering Michael Aw's great new book on underwater digital photography on the website as well. Send us some pictures to our guests gallery on the website.

I too have been trying to find the Nikon housing for the 5900, but it's been out of stock EVERYWHERE on the web for the last 3 months. I've given up trying.

I also refuse to use another Fantasea housing. I've had several of them totally flood or drip on me, and insurance or not, when you're in the middle of a dive vacation a totaled camera is the last thing you want. Mine have leaked through the shutter and zoom buttons, so it's not user error from the back main seal. To their credit, I did get one camera replaced from them. I'm too frustrated with them to even return the other housing as I really don't even want a replacement.

So that leave me to buy a Ikelite. Good name, hopefully great gear. I'd love to see some pictures or comments from people on the 5900 and the results of using Nikons new "underwater" scene mode. Anyone done with/without comparison shots while at depth to see if it does remove the blue tint at depth?

Thanks!

Happy bubbles to all.

DaHeapster@hotmail.com

I can not comment on Nikons UW mode, but can on the Canon UW setting.

IMO it's pointless if one can set the WB manually. I shot several images in the UW mode, and they turned out no better, and in most cases worst vs. just shooting in manual mode, and setting the WB.

I guess if one has less control of the camera (IOW's the camera does not support Manual, Aperture priority, or shutter priority), or don't want to (or can not) manually set the WB, than the UW mode maybe worth while.

In my case I do not find any of the scene or program modes very useful as I want control over the aperture and shutter. If you want to be a better photographer, one should be making the decisions on aperture/shutter/ISO/WB not just letting the camera decide.

Hello to all, I'm new to this board. This is my first comments.

I wanted to comment on the conversation about the Fantasea Housing. I have one and have had great results. After spending some time with housing out of the box, I can see where there might be a problem with the seal not getting seated correctly. I do however make sure that it is closed correctly prior to going under. I don't have anything to compare the result to as I rarely see anyone that takes the time to document thier dives with pictures. I on the other hand find that there realy is no other way. You can see from my gallary that I've been lucky in capturing some surprizingly good shots.

Back
Top Bottom