good dive planning software?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mason

Registered
Reaction score
I'm somewhat new at this, so please forgive the ignorance.

Until I can decide on which computer to get, I'd like to be running my previous dives through something to see what kind of profile I was actually diving versus what I calculated on my charts. Does anyone know of a good planner software to use outside of the computer? How about PADI's PDA version software?

I've downloaded the trial versions of Voyager 2000, Oceanic VT Pro and V-Planner, and none seem simple to use. As a mater of fact, I can't seem to get good repetitive profiles from any of them. I'm guessing I'm not using them right.

Also, is it accepted nowadays to NOT have a buddy or divemaster sign paper log forms for documentation for a "logged" dive?

Thanks

O.K., I downloaded the PADI PDA planner, and it won't do multilevel dives. Any recommendations for multilevel planning without a wheel for the no computer, non-tech divers?

I dunno, I use v-planner on and off but since it's a program for deco, it doesn't lend itself to non-deco diving all that well. There's a lot of "plus this number in and see if it puts us in deco or not" that's annoying.

There might be some decent $$ in for anyone willing to write up some good NDL software..

As you have seen from my previous thread, I have tried V-Planner. I also had a look at GAP, I'm not sure if it is safe...etc. I looked pretty though, although I found V-Planner rawer and more straight forward to use.

You can do some rough planning using a PADI RDP, but unless you use reduced NLDs and some limits on the multilevel depths, you can generate profiles that are slightly into deco.

Here's a table I generated using the basic exponential equations and the DSAT M-values. It includes the reduced NDLs, aka "ML" values, and also some info on allowable profiles. The numbers differ slightly from the PADI table & wheel due to roundoff errors. http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/500/1596FLATWHL1-1.gif is a gif image.

Or excel version:

Back
Top Bottom