New to the board, a quick weighting question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff Toorish

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been lurking and using this board as a resource for a while.

I have a brief question. I've been looking for some sort of buoyancy table or guide. I checked the PADI site. What I'm trying to find is a table with general rules about what weight applies to various wetsuit thicknesses. For example, I know that as a rule of thumb, PADI suggests for a 7mm wetsuit, use ten percent of your weight and 3-5 addtional pounds. Frankly, I have found that to not really be very accurate, at least for me. I always wind up being overweighted.

Does anyone have another source?

Thanks,

Jeff

Try the PADI DM book. For a 7mm full FJ wetsuit Im thinking 15% sounds a little closer but it all depends on your body fat %.

Oh ya, and Aloha and welcome to the board!

Experience. The more you dive the less weight you will need until you reach your optimum weight. Try experimenting with different weight as everyone is different and there is no definitive guide. And welcome to the board.

further to previous comments I really wouldn't waste your time referring to anything reference material suggesting approximate figs for buoyancy weighting. Apart from thickness as mentioned there are a whole host of over variables, eg. the different proportions of bosy tissues, lung volume and the types materials used in your suit.

I would suggest frequently doing a buoyancy check, maybe even every dive as it doesnt take long at all to fine tune your buoyancy and you are likely to see a significant change in your weight use over time as you get more experience.

They are all right, i am the overweight troll of this board, ie i hate the whole idea of it...the 10% rule is about that...10% correct...

As everyone else said, its all about buoyancy checks, comfortableness in the water, experience etc etc etc. You will definitely go down in weight needed as you gain experience.

Best way to check your weight is after you dive is finished, when you have about 500psi. Get to the surface and let all of the air out of your BC (keeping your reg in mouth) with your arms and legs crossed so you don't skull. If you sink like a stone, you are overweighted. Take some weight off 2 pounds at a time until you just barely dip below the surface. You should be about bang on at that. 20 dives later..take off another 4 pounds....:)

Welcome...

Thanks to Everyone. I agree, the tables are rules just don't seem to work. I'll take the adivce to just keep doing buoyancy checks until I have it.

Jeff

I have a reference sheet in my logbook.
Here's how to create one:
Weigh yourself. Write it down.
In a pool, determine how much weight you need to sink you in your bathing suit, fins and mask with about a half-breath in your lungs. Put another way, how much weight can you just barely float with if you have a full breath? Don't kick! Write that down as your "base" weight requirement. (This is typically between zero and eight pounds, depending on your specific density).
Now take your BC, make sure it is fully deflated and has the stuff you carry on every dive attached (knife, backup light, etc). If you only dive AL 80's, go ahead and attach the tank and regulator too. Drain the tank to 500 psi. (if you dive more than one kind of tank don't attach it at this time - we'll get to that later). Weigh the BC & attachments. Write it down.
See how much weight you need to sink the BC - usually about 2 pounds (3 or 4 with AL 80@500 psi attached). Write that down. If you use more than one BC (I use a different BC in tropical waters than at home, and a BP/W for doubles) do the same for each.
For each wetsuit you use, record its dry weight, then put it in the pool and stack weights on it until it just barely sinks. If you have a farmer John, or a vest or hood, do this for each separate piece of neoprene. (Make sure there's no trapped air) Record the weight required for each suit piece.
For a drysuit, you'll have to put that on, dump it to the underwear loft you want to use diving, and see how much weight you need to sink it. Record both the weight of the suit and underwear, and how much weight you need to sink it for each underwear configuration you use.
Accessories: Record the weight of each accessory. For accesories that float, record the weight required to sink each. For those that sink, you'll need to construct a buoyancy scale to see how negative they are. I use a four foot long aluminum tent pole suspended in the middle, hung from the diving board. On one end I hang the accessory (under water) I'm measuring, on the other a mesh bag (under water) into which I put weights until balanced. Record negative buoyancy as negative numbers.
Tanks: Make tank measurements at 500 psi or less, with regulator attached. Weigh each tank with regulator attached and record that. For aluminum tanks, see how much weight you need to just sink it - typically 1 or 2 pounds, depending on your regulator. For steel tanks use the same balance system you used for negatively buoyant accessories and record each tank's negative buoyancy.
Once this is done, you now can create your buoyancy chart, with the weight and buoyancy of you and each piece of gear you dive with.
To see how much weight you need for any particular combination of gear, just add everything up algebraically and there you have your perfect fresh water weighting, every time. For salt water, just add up the total weight of you and all your gear, multiply by 2.5% and add that to the fresh water weighting to get your perfect salt water weighting. Every time. No guesswork.
I know this sounds like a lot of work, but it's really more fun than work, and you only have to do it once for each piece of gear you use, and once for each new piece of gear you add to your total diving gear collection.
And believe me, it sure is nice to be able to hit the water perfectly weighted every time, no guesswork, no uncomfortable safety stops, no overweighting either...
Rick

Rick Murchison:
I have a reference sheet in my logbook.
Here's how to create one:

And believe me, it sure is nice to be able to hit the water perfectly weighted every time, no guesswork, no uncomfortable safety stops, no overweighting either...
Rick
:1poke: Thanks Rick. You just cost someone a course in bounancy. So much for that DOLLAR. :D

Back
Top Bottom