Pics from Sombrero Island 9/11/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
guys i have attempted to use the manual settings of my a95. i mainly used the aperture priority and set it to f8 for all my macro shots, most were used with the internal strobe. white balance manual and iso auto. i noticed that inspite of my manual white balance, i noticed some of the pics were visibly red.

next week i will experiment with the shutter priority instead of the aperture. hopefully a pattern will emerge.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/1160

Might also be because of the manual white balance. Usually you set that without the strobe and when you then use the strobe the pictures turn out more red....Keep on playing, you're doin' good for starters :D

justleesa:
Might also be because of the manual white balance. Usually you set that without the strobe and when you then use the strobe the pictures turn out more red....Keep on playing, you're doin' good for starters :D

i think you have a point, i used manual settings with ALL my photos and the internal strobe was set to ON. if that is the case then what should i give priority to? the white balance or the strobe? being that i cant use both IF that is what casued my pictures to be reddish? i noticed that the colors were whiter when i dint use the strobe.

if i decide to use the internal strobe, what should i preset white balance to? if i use manual white balance how do i cope with low lighting? isnt there a way to use manual white balance and my internal strobe at the same time without getting the reddish hues?

justleesa:

Yeah, good composition and sharp pics. Remember to put auto white balance back when going to strobe. Also, if you calibrate auto white balance deep where the reds are less prominent and then you take a picture in the shllows without resampling, you will also get lots of red in your shot.

Keep on experimenting!
Nick

calypsonick:
Yeah, good composition and sharp pics. Remember to put auto white balance back when going to strobe. Also, if you calibrate auto white balance deep where the reds are less prominent and then you take a picture in the shllows without resampling, you will also get lots of red in your shot.

Keep on experimenting!
Nick

actually i would manually set the white balance at depth before shooting my subjects. i also took all of my photos with the internal flash on. also when i got shallower i would still re-calibrate the white balance manually before taking my pics. 98% were taken with the internal flash on whether i was shallow or deep. any tips?

calypsonick:

Keep on experimenting!
Nick

actually i would manually set the white balance at depth before shooting my subjects. i also took all of my photos with the internal flash on. also when i got shallower i would still re-calibrate the white balance manually before taking my pics. 98% were taken with the internal flash on whether i was shallow or deep. any tips?

Spoon:
i think you have a point, i used manual settings with ALL my photos and the internal strobe was set to ON. if that is the case then what should i give priority to? the white balance or the strobe? being that i cant use both IF that is what casued my pictures to be reddish? i noticed that the colors were whiter when i dint use the strobe.

if i decide to use the internal strobe, what should i preset white balance to? if i use manual white balance how do i cope with low lighting? isnt there a way to use manual white balance and my internal strobe at the same time without getting the reddish hues?

As far as I understand it, Spoon, you use manual white balance when you are using ambient (natural) light only. What WB does is try and compensate in areas where it detects some red and makes up for the fact that reds and oranges are diffused as depth increases.

With the strobe, on the otherhand, the amount of water between you and the subject is negligible and the reds come out with the artificial light from your camera.

Now, if you calibrate your WB to add reds and then you use the strobe, you are getting a double whammy red effect. The WB will add red to the reds you are getting with your stobe.

So, short answer - don't use WB when you use artificial light (strobes).

OK, first off, what did you use to calibrate the white balance? a white slate or the sand?...was the sun behind you or in front?

if i use manual white balance how do i cope with low lighting?

You don't. I never use MWB with flash...I am pretty sure it is an either or thing...at least that is what I see when I take pics.
I find, for me, that MWB does not do the trick for me at greater depths....just not enough light to get the right exposure time...the pictures are out of focus and the colors are still not right.
So on all my deeper dives I use the strobe and on the shallower dives, every now and then, I'll take a few pics with the cameras MWB set for where ever I am. I use it (MWB) more for the further away stuff and stobe for the closer stuff....the picture just have more color and seem a bit crisper.
what should i preset white balance to?
I have mine set to automatic

isnt there a way to use manual white balance and my internal strobe at the same time without getting the reddish hues?

Not having tried it myself the only thing I can think of is shine your light on your slate (if that is what you use) and then calibrate. It could perhaps even it out. You might need someone to hold something for you as I doubt you have 3 hands :wink:

Hope this gets all your questions...if not, ask more

Back
Top Bottom