when to take DIRF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

primary buddy and i are almost exactly the same gear configuration (his knife may be a different color but...) we're also within a few dives of each other.

so far ow, aow, rescue, nitrox, o2 provider, NAS 1, ~80 dives in last year (finished course last june), getting mostly DIRish equipment now: pioneer with steel bp and explorer with aluminum bp, double pst 104s with diverite isolation manifold, another set of 104s we can single or double up, few aluminum, new drysuit soon (when its finished being made thanks to my experience with some lowlife punks in ottawa), apeks atx200s for double set with long hose package, tx50 for single set (getting 5 footer package for that too), jetfins, cobra

basically getting the gear and some experience with it to be comfortable before we take the next step. have read the "Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving" book and from all the info i've read on this board and others along with my own negative experiences with some things, this stuff just makes sense. Every time i read about something new, i think back an say ya, that happened or happens to me (or will likely happen to me) etc. For example, fiddling to find my inflator on my ranger - the hose is too long and its not always where i'd hope it is - short hose right at your shoulder makes sense. I never use the shoulder dump valve, so why even have it there. I had an inflator stuck on once, had a slight problem with disconnecting it, wasnt confident my shoulder dump was dumping so i inverted to swim downward til i could figure it out - went to grab my lower over pressure valve and was fiddling to find the little knobby end - had i known that whole pinch the round thing and the string would be between my fingers, that would have been easier. I've been witness to or experienced 4 mares buckles on fins break or snap out in the last few months, most recent was sunday- those simple spring straps on simple fins make sense. I have volos that i'm always aware my legs are going twice as fast as anyone else i'm diving with - of course they're easier and give less resistance: because they dont do anything (useles, useless, useless) - so off to more simple fins (not to mention the rubber at the joints is cracking like i've read here a few times before) . My ranger looks like a jumbled mess of a christmas tree in the front when its all done up with all the danglies and straps. Those wonderful pockets we all think are so important as new divers are useless to anyone but your buddy when you have gloves on and cant grab the knobby end of string attached to the zipper cause it melds in with all the other dangly things on the bc. I cant get to my pockets anyways - my arms barely bend that way - the only pocket i've ever found useful was on my last drysuit's right leg. The ranger rides up on me (didnt get the crotch strap) - i've had some nasty dives lately trying to keep pushing that down. Wobbly tank on a softpack.... (do you get the sense i'm no ranger fan) - i've even had an opportunity or two to sell it but i push these people to go backplate/webbing/wing because of the night and day comparison in comfort. So again, the webbing/backplate combination just makes sense. I've practiced entire safety stops on my buddies octo - no joy cause the hose is too short and even a 2 foot variance in depth (which isnt hard if you're looking off in different directions for any length of time) almost gets it yanked out of your mouth - so obviously longer hose makes sense. (btw, using your buddies octo will certainly wake you up to making sure hes got a quality octo - he had one of those little low profile things that was hard as hell to drag any air out of - so thats recently been changed - dont go cheap there, i can only imagine being out of air at depth and panicy and having the joy of a regulator that doesnt deliver the required ease of breathing handed over to you) I'm just sick and tired of all this small crap going wrong or being just plain uncomfortable.

My first 4 dives with a pioneer have been boring little dives in the past week (well, one was a wreck, but the others were just jumping in and getting wet to just get used to the equip) - but they've been the most comfortable dives i've had from an equipment perspective - its like the equipment now is part of you - i barely even know its there where i was all too aware of being confined in my nylon straightjacket before.

When i see other wing manufacturers offer extra long inflator hoses, after the stuff i've read, and experienced, i think "they just dont get it do they" - i cant imagine a situation where a longer inflator hose than the usually too long hose would be of benefit.

As far as those elastic restricted wings, i thought they looked cool last year as well and was looking forward to getting them. I've read all the back and forth on this board as to why they're not that great or the cats ass depending on your point of view. In looking at wings this year, i put them off as just something thats unneccessarily complicated etc - i dont want to have to worry about adjusting anything more than i have to, or getting the tension right etc. But the one thing that did absolutely set my mind straight on that one was I was in a shop picking up stuff, and a guy came in about his wing. I heard him mention his one side was inflating and his other wasnt. I was thinking, "you know, i guess theres at least some truth to what i've read on scubabboard about that topic... - why why why would you want to add that bit of complication to things." I've never really prescribed to the "they're more or less streamlined than other wings.." but this issue i overheard certainly is something to think about - and i dont think i've read about that one on this board yet. So, back to the simple approach, simple wing design makes sense.

Just trying to assess what the next step should be first. Was thinking about an advanced nitrox and deco procedures course after another 40-50 dives but think the DIRF course might be nice to squeeze in there before that. Neither of us are in any rush so if either of us don't feel confident at that point, we'll put it off til we do.

and if theres anything we should be doing/practicing, that would be good to know as well.

steve

As far as those elastic restricted wings

Just an aside here, I was thinking the pysics behind these things.

Consider:
Boyance is a force of life generated by the mass difference of the volume of water dispaced aposed to the mass of the thing displacing it. The greater the diference in mass, the more lift you get.

Air has mass.

The lift generated by inflating a wing if caused by the amount of water the air displaces.

Its not the amount of air in the wing, it is the -volume- of the air in the wing.

If you compress the air in the wing (ei, bungies), you actualy create less lift, since there is less volume. This causes you to have to inflate the wing more. This means the mass of the air displacing the water is greater. Which means you need even more air to displace more watter to offset the mass of the compressed air in the wing.

All of that means your wing has to be bigger. Not a lot, since air dousn't weight much.. but some. And any streamlinging argument is complete crap. Its the volume of air, not how much is in the wing (mass).

Did you mean 80 dives last year, or 80 dives total, or that you have only been diving a year, and have all those cards?

Originally posted by wetman
so far ow, aow, rescue, nitrox, o2 provider, NAS 1, ~80 dives in last year (finished course last june)

steve

I am taking it next month and you have way more gear and c-cards than I do...

Take it now before you ingrain any bad habits...

Then you might want to consider taking a break from merit badge collecting, and just go diving for a change. Pay special attention to bouyancy - for some reason, most wreckies are awful at it. When you get so you are totally comfortable in your gear, never have to grope for something wondering where it went, and can hold your position in the water colume without a lot of finning and messing with your BC then you can start thinking about the next step.

Courses can teach you a lot, but they can't teach self sufficiency, or make you comfortable in the water. Only water time does that. Lot of guys get so busy chasing cards they forget the whole point of the game, which is to have fun underwater.

Originally posted by wetman
finished my open water last june so 80 total

I agree with o-ring... don't waste time learning bad habits... and I will add... stop buying stuff until you have taken the DIRF... that way you will have less to sell on ebay.

btw: you don't get a card after taking the DIRF.... so no worries there about collecting too much plastic
:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom