Smallest BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seandixie

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm back off to Thailand next month (via Japan) backpacking and intend in doing my divemaster there. After that down to Maylasia and where-ever else I find myself before the money runs out. I always manage to travel with mask, wetsuit and fins. Doing my divemaster, is about perhaps a career change or break and I'd like/need to get myself fully kitted out. I was wondering what BCs out there pack the smallest?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Oh, and modestly priced would be good though I'm prepared to pay for quality. Cheers.

An aluminum backplate with hogarthian harness and a small travel wing would be pretty light and easy to travel with... I would think.

cmalinowski:
An aluminum backplate with hogarthian harness and a small travel wing would be pretty light and easy to travel with... I would think.

I met several backpackers in Indonesia recently who travel with just this setup because it's small, lightweight, reliable.

I recently picked up an older ocean Dynamics BC off of eBay to use as a travel BC. Here's a picture

It is just the old-fashioned plastic backpack with a wing. It weights next to nothing and really packs small. I haven't dove it yet, but if it works as well as I think it will, I'll be eBaying my Ranger...

I got mine for $30 (w/o tank strap, so add another $15), and it looks brand new.

I've had SB members tell me that SeaTec still make's a similar BC.

I just recently purchased the Seaquest "Passport", it is specifically designed for the traveling diver. I is very lightweight and folds into it's own mesh bag, here's a link for more info http://www.aqualung.com/products/passport.html

I've only used it for one trip so far, the small package it folds into is really great for packing, the only drawback I had with it on the trip is the weight packs were slipping on me and I actually lost one, but that could or could not have been due to how the DM loaded it. They are only held in by velcro where my wife's BC has plastic retainers that hold her's in place.

I got a Zeagle Scout, just got back from Phuket, it was perfect. Integated rear weight pockets, packed nice and small (fins actually took up more room) and worked great.

Z...

the scubal aquarius is probably as light and as cheap as BCDs get
http://www.scubal.com/content/index.php?proid=1006&catid=201&procatid=151
(under 100.- and 3lbs, I believe)

not sure how durable it is though...

for your prupose (DM training) I would probably rather recommend an aluminum or polymer backplate (e.g., DSS is flatter than most others), plus a small wing such as the Oxycheq 18lbs (plenty lift for exclusive warm water diving).
Your could further save some weight by using tank bands with plastic buckle (most will last for years), and limit your webbing hardware to the necessary/go with a plastic buckle as well.
Should be able to get a whole setup at ~6...7lbs, is very flexible and rugged, and packs as flat as no other BCD

another good place to save weight are full foot fins with neoprene socks rather than booties and strapped fins. Saves another 2-3lbs, is cheaper, and usually more comfy/efficient. Have seen many DMs wearing that.
And a small wrist mount computer rather than a bulky console.

d-s-f

I'll second (or third) the aluminum bp idea with hogarthian harness and an oxcheq or pioneer single wing would be quite light (around 4-6lbs) you can even leave all but the hip D-ring off if you don't have any gear (lights, or long hose) to reduce weight even further. It would also be very sturdy and hold up about as well as anything while traveling and be a good foundation system for future diving plans. Plus it folds up to just a couple of inches thick in the bottom of your bag.

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom