Want to dive Lake Mead 9/17/05?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DvrRick

Contributor
Reaction score
It was suggested I try posting in this forum for Lake Mead diving. I'll be out there this weekend and would like to try diving Lake Mead on Saturday 9/17/05. Is anyone interested in going? I'm looking for someone who's familiar with the area and prefer not to go on one of the chartered dive boats. PM me if you're interested.

What time are you thinking of diving?

I'm down in Tempe, depending on the dive time, I could consider a drive up and back.

ScubaMouse:
What time are you thinking of diving?

I'm down in Tempe, depending on the dive time, I could consider a drive up and back.

Hi ScubaMouse, I've been informed the only place to dive without a boat is the scuba park at the harbor. I'm trying to get some info on conditions before I decide. Have you dove the lake before? If we do go what time would be good for you? I need to be back in town and ready to go out by 5pm. Let me know your thoughts.

The travel time for me is about 3.5 hours. If I were to leave here around 6:30a I could arive around 9am and go from there. That could give a nice full day of diving and still leave plenty of time.

DvrRick:
Hi ScubaMouse, I've been informed the only place to dive without a boat is the scuba park at the harbor. I'm trying to get some info on conditions before I decide. Have you dove the lake before? If we do go what time would be good for you? I need to be back in town and ready to go out by 5pm. Let me know your thoughts.

The scuba park is the only decent shore access. With the lake level so low right now, it's not really worth it. You can expect 30-35' max depth and a couple of boats that were placed there, one at 12' right off the entry point and one at about 20' a couple hundred yards out. If you do dive there, stay along the peninsula along the rocks. That's the only place you might even see something of interest. Viz ranges from 10-20', probably on the low end on a weekend due to O/W classes. Temp right now should be 70+. You won't hit a thermocline in the park.

If you didn't have to be ready to go by 5pm, I'd suggest heading down to Lake Mohave. The diving is much better there. 30+ viz with depths to 100+ right off shore.

Thanks for all the good info Dive-aholic!

Well ScubaMouse, it doesn't look like it would be worth the drive to Lake Mead. Unfortunately I don't have the time to dive Lake Mojave on this trip. Thank you for offering to buddy up and hopefully I can get to Lake Mojave in the near future. I'll let you know.

Hey DvrRick,
I agree, good input from Dive-aholic. It would be a shame to travel 3 hours for thoes conditions...

I would still dig checking it out Mead when it gets better, Lake Mohave on the other hand definatly looks like a great trip to make.

Looks like a good weekend to work on some skills at Lake Pleasant.

Keep, postin, the more dives people know about the better.....

ScubaMouse, I may change my plans in October and stay an extra couple of days to dive Lake Mojave. Any interest in that? It would be Oct 8 or 9. I need to decide if I want to change my return flight from Saturday to Monday. I'm still not sure but I'll let you know when if I decide to dive. Thanks for the willingness to come to Lake Mead and dive with me, hopefully I'll get to meet you soon.

Hey DvrRick, Diving in Oct would be cool. I'm always up for a dive trip. Let me know what happens.

Scubamouse,
I was just reading some old posts and when you are up this way again, let me know. I'm always up for a good dive in Mead. I have a boat at Las Vegas Bay Marina just waiting to go out. There are some nice spots in this old and huge lake to dive.

Lake Mead Tony

Back
Top Bottom