Emergency Signal Flares

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFrog01

Contributor
Reaction score
Its been a few years since I saw an add for emergeny signal flares that could be carried by divers. despite my searches I've been unable to locate any. Does anyone know where i could get one? What are your thoughts on such a device. I could see where it would be a very useful tool during night dives.

ScubaFrog01:
Its been a few years since I saw an add for emergeny signal flares that could be carried by divers. despite my searches I've been unable to locate any. Does anyone know where i could get one? What are your thoughts on such a device. I could see where it would be a very useful tool during night dives.

on the internet for mcmurdo. they do a flare/smoke all in one for divers. About $60 if I remember right but shiping will cost just as much (HazMat)

Frog,

You are right, flares are a great signalling device at night, except now you can't carry them anywhere.

It is better to get a really bright strobe, and carry that with you. It is more versatile, lasts longer, and comes in its own water-tight case.

BigJetDriver69:
Frog,

You are right, flares are a great signalling device at night, except now you can't carry them anywhere.

Sure you can.... You're just thinking that you can't carry them on a commercial airplane.

You can buy them here (or do search for them by brand name for other places).
http://www.botac.com/skybscub3fla.html

They are $20 bucks here. But C2diver is right, I'm sure there will be
HAZMAT in the shipping charges. Also note they are only good for
about 20 dives.

I wonder if they would fire underwater? That'd be neat!

mike_s:
Sure you can.... You're just thinking that you can't carry them on a commercial airplane.

You can buy them here (or do search for them by brand name for other places).
http://www.botac.com/skybscub3fla.html

They are $20 bucks here. But C2diver is right, I'm sure there will be
HAZMAT in the shipping charges. Also note they are only good for
about 20 dives.

I wonder if they would fire underwater? That'd be neat!

Thanks for the replys............these happen to be the one's I saw. Anyone have any idea why they would only be good for about 20 dives. Any way to extend that by using a dry box/Bag when diving with them or is it the pressure that causes them to go bad.

ScubaFrog01:
Thanks for the replys............these happen to be the one's I saw. Anyone have any idea why they would only be good for about 20 dives. Any way to extend that by using a dry box/Bag when diving with them or is it the pressure that causes them to go bad.

i'm sure they'll work for longer than 20 dives. But they just won't guarentee that,
and if you are carrying these for in case of an emergency, you want to KNOW
they will work.

Email the manufacturer and ask them... and let us know what you hear...

Hmm, couldn't you tie them off to your float in a waterproof bag? I know it's not as good as having it on your person, but this way they may last longer? 20 dives? That means you must buy, buy, buy....

I don't think the pains wessex flares have a limit on the # of dives on them. All flares, however, do expire. That doesn't necessarily mean they won't work, just that they might not work. You can keep the old ones for emergencies, but if they are on a boat, they need to be in a container marked "expired."

ScubaFrog01:

SkyBlazer Scuba Signal Pack <--------searchable

A great idea for personal safety but I was unable to get any information on its depth limits or safety record. I have formally requested information from ORION its manufacturer. I will forward you a copy of their reply when it's received. The distributors I found could not answer my most simple questions on depth rating or composition.

I personally use a Magnum Rescue Laser Flare ( around 100.00 USD )as a redundant backup to the 3 firefly beacons I carry. Laser flares are depth rated to a very conservative 80ft but that can be easily countered by placing it in a small dry bag when diving deep. They can be transported on aircraft with out problems in fact I take them in my carry-on. Also during a dive they can be used as a very affective pointer/attention getter during day or night. I have also personally tested it to a minimum distance of 14 miles line of sight on land with a buddy that has his pilots license.

Just my 2 cents. I tend to be very pickey about what I carry down.

Mike

I have carried the same set of sky-blazers while diving to 95fsw (max) for a period of 4 years over several hundreds of dives.

I tested them. They still worked. I did not try them u/w but it did occur to me. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom