Diver killed- (and update)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

olddiver2

Reaction score
The Herald carries a story today that a diver was killed at 7:15 Saturday night (09/10/05) near John Lloyd Beach State Park. The location was reported as off the beach in the 6000 block of North Ocean Drive.

"The diver who survived and witnessed the accident told investigators the boat kept going."

As of Sunday morning, there were no details reported concerning the use of a dive flag, water conditions, or the type of vessel involved.

The front page story did not reveal names, but indicated the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is investigating the incident.

Earlier in the day, a group of Conch Divers tried to reach the Eurojacks site in the same area, but strong currents prevailed.

We are always shocked and saddened when one of our own meets tragedy. I am sure we feel sympathy for the survivors.

Jack

olddiver2:
The Herald carries a story today that a diver was killed at 7:15 Saturday night (09/10/05) near John Lloyd Baech State Park. The location was reported as off the beach in the 6000 block of North Ocean Drive.

"The diver who survived and witnessed the accident told investigators the boat kept going."

As of Sunday morning, there were no details reported concerning the use of a dive flag, water conditions, or the type of vessel involved.

The front page story did not reveal names, but indicated the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is investigating the incident.

Earlier in the day, a group of Conch Divers tried to reach the Eurojacks site in the same area, but strong currents prevailed.

We are always shocked and saddened when one of our own meets tragedy. I am sure we feel sympathy for the survivors.

Jack
This is awful! As much as I truly hope it isn't one of our Conchers, I feel the grief for divers of all kinds. Naturally, prayers for the loved ones, and for some answers, too.

Man, this really torques me. I wonder if the boat driver was an idiot that didn't know what a dive flag is, or one of those who think divers are invading their space and don't care what a dive flag is. Either way, this really sux and is exactly the reason we need to license boaters in this state.

It could have been any of us.

Licenses do not cure arrogance and stupidity, take a look at I-95

olddiver2:

Jack

I'm unfamiliar w/ the area. How far out is this particular dive site & approx depth? Would it be considered 'odd' or 'normal' to have boat traffic between the dive site and the shore...?

At 7:15pm I'd think there is still plenty of sunlight around.

I agree, but but it does help ignorance, which I believe a lot of it is. It also adds accountablity.

I belive you and I have gone around on this before :)

DennisS:
Licenses do not cure arrogance and stupidity, take a look at I-95

Ya know, does anyone remember the letter I wrote and posted about two years ago to the County Commissioners and city officials of the Ft Lauderdale area? I mentioned this very problem and what could happen if action wasn't taken of some sort to educate the boaters and/or provide enforcement with more education regarding the simple law in respect to dive flags and divers.

Incidentally, I've still got a determination to bring the FWSC around.. it just takes foudning $ I don't have at the moment.

CBulla:
Ya know, does anyone remember the letter I wrote and posted about two years ago to the County Commissioners and city officials of the Ft Lauderdale area? I mentioned this very problem and what could happen if action wasn't taken of some sort to educate the boaters and/or provide enforcement with more education regarding the simple law in respect to dive flags and divers.

Incidentally, I've still got a determination to bring the FWSC around.. it just takes foudning $ I don't have at the moment.
You should send a copy of that to the news. Maybe it will help in some way. The only way politicians get anything useful done now a days is if they fear people will find out that they are doing nothing.

I can't dive off of Hallandale beach, I can't dive off of Haulover Beach-the two municipalities to the south-these beaches see a problem with divers entering off their city beaches---LIABILITY.

How do you think the Hollywood politicians are going to deal with a diver safety problem originating from their newly restored beach.

A) License every boater in the state of florida
B) Start a boater education campaign
C) Ban divers from entering off their beaches-the same as their neighbors

Yes, politicians can be prodded into action, it may not be the action you want.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom