How much do you need to know to help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One of my best friends just finished her OW cert. She feels much as I did, that she basically has been given a license to kill herself :) I remember being there . . . so overwhelmed by stimuli and stress that it was all I could do to remember to breathe, let alone try to understand where I was or where I was going.

I would like to take my friend out diving. I know that a lot of what she needs is just time under water, until things begin to resolve and make better sense. I'm not that much further along, and those impressions are still vivid.

But I am really worried about taking responsibility for her. I haven't done rescue; I have an amorphous idea of what to do if she panics, or shoots for the surface, or won't keep her reg in her mouth, or any number of other issues, but I'm not trained. I CAN take her places that are simple, not deep, not current swept -- relatively safe places for novice divers.

I have no reason to believe that we would end up in a salvage situation. But I know I don't have the training to deal with one, if we did.

What would you guys do?

Can you do a few group dives together but led by a DM? They see plenty of new and panicky divers and could be a good way to get her comfort levels up. Any dive shop / club that could help you with local day trips?

You have pretty much answered this question yourself. It appears you feel comfortable with the diving yourself, but aren't sure about your ability to look after your friend. So you are right in not wanting to push either of you past your comfort level. So I agree with Scuby Dooby that guided dives with a DM would be a good idea.

Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go for rescue. It sounds like you are ready for it.

Well, hopefully if she was given her C card, she is qualified to go scuba diving. If not, she should return to her instructor and inform him/her of such.

You too are certified to go scuba diving. So, my advice is to go forth and dive. Just dive within your limits. However, if you are uncomfortable, you seem to know plenty of experienced divers you could invite to join you.
Enjoy! :D

One thing to remember - both of you are responsible for the other. Stick close together and stay well within both of your comfort envelopes and you should be fine. "Plan your dives and then dive your plan", use common sense about situations, debrief each of your dives and you will learn quite a bit. Make your first dive an easy one, don't get far from your entry/exit point, make the point of the dive looking for "whatzits" in the area and don't try to set any speed records between point A and B. Expand out from there. If you feel that you need a DM along get one - but I don't think that it is absolutely necessary if you both are comfortable with the dive that you have planned.

TSandM:
I would like to take my friend out diving. I know that a lot of what she needs is just time under water, until things begin to resolve and make better sense. I'm not that much further along,

What would you guys do?

A few ideas....

#1 Join a dive club or even two of them. Then you can both dive with others of all experiance leveles. This really is the best. You will earn from the others just by
being around them and diving with tem

#2 Do a _very_ easy dive with your friend. Find a place where condidtions are good and drop down to a shallow bottom and just sit there. Then come up. Next add something like swimming out for five minutes on a compass heading and then back. The idea is "baby steps" expand what you do only a little at a time.

#3. Take a class together. "Peak boancy", "navagaton" or the like

#4 Talk to your local dive shop about "renting a DM"

I would go to the section here on scubaboard for your area and post a question like "I'm new, looking for a group or club to dive with" and then wait for some invites.. Here we seenew divers all the time and they get lots of help. I'm sure it is thatway everywhere

The main thing is to get into the water after the class don't wait

You are both certified divers -- go diving!!!

If you want other people around - join a dive club.

Otherwise - go slow - stay within your limits - comfort level and have a great time. That is what this is all about. (-:

Kimber

I actually did a lot of the things recommended when I finished my OW cert. I went diving with strangers who represented themselves as more accomplished (and I had a great time, and nobody was anything other than what they said they were). I would just like to take the "great leap into the unknown with somebody you never met before" hurdle out from in front of my friend. I guess I'm just nervous about it.

TSandM:
I guess I'm just nervous about it.
Don't be. It is the best thing you can do. It will make both of you stronger divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom