Cape Ann Lobsters are BAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decapoddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My buddy and I did a mini tour of the North Shore on Sunday. We started in Beverly and got 6 lobsters including a couple of 2 lb'ers. Saw lots and lots of shorts plus crabs, ocean pout and urchins. Vis was about 4 ft so luckily my buddy was a good buddy and we stayed together. We then headed up to Cape Anne where we found 20 ft vis, 57 deg water and many more lobsters. We ended up with 16 bugs. We found 3 HUGE females with eggs which we immediately put right back in their respective holes once we realized their condition. I was able to do a little picture taking too so all in all, it was a great day. It's nice to see that the water has warmed up enough for the bugs to move back in.

Scott

I agree!!!
I went out on a boat off cape ann thursday I got 27 on 3 dives :)
I went out friday off salisbury and got 15 in 3 dives.
and we went sunday off the shore in cape ann and got 14 :) 2 dives. I got 3 within a 1/4 of an inch from being to big :)
I didn't count my buddies lobsters so yes there baaack!!!!
One bad thing sunday after we finished our 2nd dive.
a policeman drove up to us and told us that because of locals
and lobstermen complaints. They where going to start towing
divers cars?? We asked where we could park ( everthing is resident only) He say nowhere he knew but we should just get dropped off??? It's always somethin!!!
Rick L

[qoute]One bad thing sunday after we finished our 2nd dive.
a policeman drove up to us and told us that because of locals
and lobstermen complaints. They where going to start towing
divers cars?? We asked where we could park ( everthing is resident only) He say nowhere he knew but we should just get dropped off??? It's always somethin!!!
[/quote]

Which beach was this? There's generally parking availible around there somewhere.

Folly Cove, for example, we'll drop our gear there, drive over to the state park up the road, and park there... With a class, this works ok as someone will shuttle people back & forth and then walk once everyone's back at the beach.

-beaker

I was the back of the seaside cemetery.
Ive been going there for 14 years we have got a few tickets
but never been towed. A while back 7 years or so we would drop off our stuff and park in the street( posted no parking now)One
time I was doing this and a cemetery worker pulls up to me and asks why are you parking out there? I answer that I thought you could not park in the cemetery? He says ill show you where you can park in here. We have been parking there ever since!!
The policeman said he had just ticketed follys and was going to tell them that they would be towed the next time he caught them too!!!
Rick L

Stinking Parking Nazi's. I just don't get it, why are they such jerks on Cape Ann. They should be encouraging divers not hassling them, we are only there for a little while and generally leave the place better than when we got there. I got a ticket last time at Folly Cove, I'll drop off next time.

I agree Its the sunbathers and kids partying down there that
leave litter!!! We have even removed broken bottles and beer cans from the water many times!!!
The cops says the residents are mad this year because they are charging for resident stickers? We said we would gladly pay for a resident sticker :) I was a great day of diving loads of sealife around. Including the biggest torpedo ray ive ever seen 4 to 5 feet around!!
Rick L

Looking for someone to go diving on cape ann this thursday!!
early in the morning would be great anyone??

I might be in... how early you want?

As far as the additudes towards the cops up there etc, yes it sucks. Complaining among ourselves doesn't help. Cleaning up the beach when you're there: great!! I always try to leave with more than I come with. Residents don't watch and see people cleaning up, they see people sitting around, and later garbage on the beach. They didn't see the guy from down the street leave it there

If the diving community that uses Gloucester & Rockport want to make a positive influence on the residents, perhaps a big 'Clean Cape Ann's Beaches' event is needed, organized & led by the divers who frequent the beaches. With some effort, the DPW of the towns up there might even donate garbage bags. A little publicity showing that the divers care about the beaches etc would never hurt. The local population who live nearby the beaches might even come out & help!

As far as the resident sticker, you gotta own property...

-beaker

Any time you want to go!!
I am very polite and only question the police on there policys!
I would never argue with a policeman it dosn"t pay.
We always say hi to all residents and are very nice to all people we meet!! I dont like to burn bridges and give nobody anything to say against us!! I have over 700 dives on cape ann and have never had a real problem. Im looking for buddies to dive during the week work almost all weekends! How long you been diving?
looking forward to your reply!!!
Rick L

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom