Some help with this tide chart please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

av8er23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking at making a dive at this location between Sept. 26-30. I understand that the most favorable conditions are found during high slack tides. Are the heights measured in feet? Example 1.5 = 1 1/2 feet.

Say I were to do a dive on 9/29/05. The best time would be at 6:40 PM correct. Do I want to get in the water at this time or plan to be in the middle of my dive at this time.

http://co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/...&thh=-0&thm=21&tlh=+0&tlm=4&hh=*1.18&hl=*1.36

av8er23:
I am looking at making a dive at this location between Sept. 26-30. I understand that the most favorable conditions are found during high slack tides. Are the heights measured in feet? Example 1.5 = 1 1/2 feet.

Say I were to do a dive on 9/29/05. The best time would be at 6:40 PM correct. Do I want to get in the water at this time or plan to be in the middle of my dive at this time.

http://co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/...&thh=-0&thm=21&tlh=+0&tlm=4&hh=*1.18&hl=*1.36

You are correct in that high tide is around 6:40pm but without knowing anything about the site it's hard to give more info. Is this a lake dive or is this in the ocean where currents are a factor? If currents are a factor you need to look at a current chart. Either post more info about the site or ask someone locally who is familiar with the site.

6:09AM or 6:40PM is high tide. You may want to get with someone familiar with the area to see how long the slack tide lasts and how bad the current will get after it picks up. I would get in a bit before high tide, trying to get high tide to occur when you're halfway finished with your dive if you are using the same location to enter and exit.

I'd say you'd want to consider using your training...

[1] Dive the site with someone who is experienced with the diving in this area/site (you should have a good reason to trust them and thier ability).
[2] Consider doing at least one site survey for yourself and ascertain if the dive on this site is within your skills and training.

av8er23:

After reading this site link, I'd recommend (given you # of dives) that you find an experienced diver (experienced at that site and familiar with how to correctly dive the site) and ask to dive it with them at least once before you do this otherwise (and I'd be asking alot of questions along the way and making mental and physical notes for the "next time").

...just my 2 cents.

Best wishes and good luck,

Jim

You're talking about the Phil Foster Park/Blue Heron Bridge. If you read Wade's page, it tells you to be in the water about 20 mins before slack high tide. The time on the chart IS slack high tide. Plan to be in the water at about 6:20. BTW, make sure you check with the Palm Beach County parks and recreation division to see if the park is closed to diving. Last I heard it isn't.

This is a discussion that belongs in the Florida Conch Divers forum.

It says be at water's edge 20 before High Tide, I'd take their advice and get back to your exit point when you feel the tide turn and starting to pull outward.

I believe a bunch of the FL Conchers dive this site, last I heard they may not be allowing divers there due to alot of debri from '04s hurricanes. That could all be cleaned up by now, so check with the Conchers for some updated info - and possibly a dive buddy.

Scubaguy62:
You're talking about the Phil Foster Park/Blue Heron Bridge. If you read Wade's page, it tells you to be in the water about 20 mins before slack high tide. The time on the chart IS slack high tide. Plan to be in the water at about 6:20. BTW, make sure you check with the Palm Beach County parks and recreation division to see if the park is closed to diving. Last I heard it isn't.

This is a discussion that belongs in the Florida Conch Divers forum.

Yea I should have posted in FL Conch Divers.

SuPrBuGmAn:
It says be at water's edge 20 before High Tide, I'd take their advice and get back to your exit point when you feel the tide turn and starting to pull outward.

YES, YES, YES!!!

The reason why you need to be in the water, or as Wade puts it, at the water's edge 20 mins before slack high is because that way you'll be ready to go at a moment's notice (think, "taxi into position and hold"), then you can get to the dive site while the incoming tide starts to subside, and get more of your dive when it hits slack high. What SuPrBuGmAn says about geting to your exit point is very very true. The vis will drop to inches if you get caught in the outgoing tide and are not close to your entry point.

Back
Top Bottom