How to Secure Camera Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phoenix1

Registered
Reaction score
I have a trip coming up in Bonaire, with lots of shore diving. Security is apparently not what it used to be, with frequent car break-ins. I usually take a Nikonos wide angle setup down on my first dives, macro setup (requiring another lens) on the second.

I could probably (???) leave my second roll of film in the glove box, but what about my second lens set? Is there any way to secure my stuff without having to go back to the hotel between dives?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Get the right size pelican box and strap it to your tank or something? Buy another Nikonos body for the other setup and get your buddy to carry it? :wink:

Or, why not just do both dives on an outing with the same lens? In Bonaire seems to me doing one lens one day and the other the next would usually work out about as well in the end.

Phoenix1:
I have a trip coming up in Bonaire, with lots of shore diving. Security is apparently not what it used to be, with frequent car break-ins. I usually take a Nikonos wide angle setup down on my first dives, macro setup (requiring another lens) on the second.

I could probably (???) leave my second roll of film in the glove box, but what about my second lens set? Is there any way to secure my stuff without having to go back to the hotel between dives?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

you can get a lens dock so all your lenses are attached to your rig. i beleive gb undersea or something makes these things.

Spoon:
you can get a lens dock so all your lenses are attached to your rig. i beleive gb undersea or something makes these things.

Not for nikonus. The lens would flood if the back where exposed to water. The lenses can be removed only on land. This is what makes the nikon optic so _good_ there is no "port"

Put the lens in an old McDonald's drink cup, put the lid back on the cup and stuff it under the seat. Your lens, film, cash or whatever will look just like trash.

Buy insurance.

ChrisA:
Not for nikonus. The lens would flood if the back where exposed to water. The lenses can be removed only on land. This is what makes the nikon optic so _good_ there is no "port"

Buy insurance.

oops dint know that

Phoenix1:
Is there any way to secure my stuff without having to go back to the hotel between dives?
Some ideas, maybe not all practical for you, but offered as a thought anyway:

- hire the crappiest-looking bomb of a car you can get

- invite a non-diving friend along for the ride to enjoy a few hours by the sea and to watch over the car

- put your valuables into a separate bag, then before you dive get horizontal and face-up to wire, clip or tie the bag under the car, perhaps to the driveshaft or the differential. Your average opportunistic thief will not think to look there unless they saw you putting your stuff there in the first place. This option is a bummer if someone steals the car!

- leave your gear with a friendly shop or hotel nearby. Smile at the owner and you might get lucky

Damselfish:
Get the right size pelican box and strap it to your tank or something? Buy another Nikonos body for the other setup and get your buddy to carry it? :wink:

Or, why not just do both dives on an outing with the same lens? In Bonaire seems to me doing one lens one day and the other the next would usually work out about as well in the end.

I'll probably go the "lens a day" route. Since I'll be choosing the sites, I can more easily group them according to likely targets -- wide or macro -- than I could on a boat guided dive.

Rich

ChrisA:

Put the lens in an old McDonald's drink cup, put the lid back on the cup and stuff it under the seat. Your lens, film, cash or whatever will look just like trash.

Buy insurance.

The drink cup idea for the film sounds right. But I'm not sure about the lens, even though it is insured. As I mentioned in another reply, I'll probably just go with one lens a day and be happy.

Rich

The right answer is just leave it at the hotel. All the dive sites are a 10 minute drive or less away, why risk it. Take only what you need to dive one dive and return to the resort between dives.

I was just there and that is what we did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom