Banned from diving for a locked out backup computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, I am fairly new to the board and to diving and just ran across this concept I wanted to run by you.

I am in the market for a backup computer. Right now I have a more liberal Aeris Atmos AI and I am considering a Suunto as a backup/replacement primary for the Aeris. That said, if I were to use the Aeris as my primary, I could theoretically run into a situation where I do everything right by my Aeris and be locked out by the Suunto. Given that scenario, I have read about dive operations that will put you in a mandatory 24 hour sit out from diving if you lock out your computer.

My questions are:

How prevalent is the lock out rule on dive operations?

and

Does it apply to backup computers? Meaning, if my primary is fine and my backup is locked out, do I still get to dive?

Thanks in advance.

Jarrett:
Hello, I am fairly new to the board and to diving and just ran across this concept I wanted to run by you.

I am in the market for a backup computer. Right now I have a more liberal Aeris Atmos AI and I am considering a Suunto as a backup/replacement primary for the Aeris. That said, if I were to use the Aeris as my primary, I could theoretically run into a situation where I do everything right by my Aeris and be locked out by the Suunto. Given that scenario, I have read about dive operations that will put you in a mandatory 24 hour sit out from diving if you lock out your computer.

My questions are:

and

Does it apply to backup computers? Meaning, if my primary is fine and my backup is locked out, do I still get to dive?

Thanks in advance.
Your kidding, Right?

How many dives do you have and why are you thinking of replacing your computer?

That's exactly what I was told from Larry at Scubatoys except dive operation part.

He said, one of his buddies who used Suunto didn't make the last dive while other divers who had Oceanic computer were diving because Suunto was locked out.

Jarrett:

My questions are:

and

Thanks in advance.

MAybe you might consider using your computer as a backup to your dive plan?

... but if not, then why would you use a backup that does not have the same compartment loading and decompression algorithm? Do you see a problem with this?

jhelmuth:
MAybe you might consider using your computer as a backup to your dive plan?

... but if not, then why would you use a backup that does not have the same compartment loading and decompression algorithm? Do you see a problem with this?
or throw the locked out computer into the dive bag and go diving.

JeffG:
or throw the locked out computer into the dive bag and go diving.

That's my inclination as well, but how stringent is this locked out computer rule? I can think of three dive operations I have considered getting on that have the rule for the primary at least. I guess its a dumb newbie question, but I'd still like to find out what reality is before I find out the hard way.

Hi Jarett
Sorry no idea about this lock out rule by dive operators.

However, if you mean that you will carry two computers at the same time (one as backup), it might be best to have both be the same manufacterer for the reason you mentioned. I sometimes carry two and they are both Oceanic. Oceanic and Aeris are both made by Pelagic (I belive) so should be compatible.

As you observed, Suunto comptuers are more conservative and could result in a lockout if you are folowing a more liberal computer. You could try increasing the conservatism value in the other computer, but there are no guarantees. You could also use the more conservative computer as your primary and the more liberal as a backup...(and follow the primary).

That way, you would always be leaving the water before the more liberal computer gets to NDL limits. This sounds like what you had in mind anyway...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom