WPB Diving in Dec.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mscott

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks. Hope to do some diving in December and wanted to get an idea of what we could expect in the WPB area. In particular, I'm wondering about the water conditions (temp, roughness (is that the word?) fish live, visibility, etc.). Would you suggest gloves and a hood that time of year? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thinking of 12/8 through 12/11 (short, I know). Can we snorkle with manatees that time of year?

Also, any recommendations regarding inexpensive yet habitable hotels would also be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Matt

mscott
you can get some great conditions in WPB that time of year. The reefs are full of tropicals and other such stuff. Some times the larger animals come in closer at that time of year as well. You will want to wear at least a 3mm suit, thicker is ok. I don't think you will need a hood, gloves are always good. Also you may want to have a sweat top or fleece jacket for those surface intervals, in between dives can get a bit chilly. I can suggest a few charters to use
The manatees are better up in the Crystal River area for sightseeing and yes that is a good time of year. If you want I can set you up with a guy who dives all year round looking at manatees

Couldnt have said it better than that GDI.... Matt, I will dive with ya'l when you get here.. Palm Beach will be a more layed back dive for you than up in Jupiter.. even though it won't be turtle time, we still get the loners from time to time. As for temps, man, I freeze my butt off.. I usually wear a 3/2 with a 2 vest and a 3mm shorty on top, 7mm boats, and 3 mm gloves that time of year.. (cant stand the hood thing and the 7mm is too restrictive for me)..

If you decide to hook up with GDI for the manatee thing, I PROMISE you will LOVE IT!! I got the privledge of sharing water with an entire group of six up in the Blue Spring not to long ago. The are such amazing and curious creatures. If you look up Orlando Eric's photo gallery, you can see the pictures..

I think ya'll will have a great time with whatever you decide.. Florida has something to offer everyone.

Temps range from 72-76F on average in December. In 2003, it was 78F on Dec 1, and got as low as 72 by the end of the month. This is according to the Lake Worth buoy.

Thanks GDI and Baitedstorm for your thoughts. I think we probably will come down for the diving. Will have to rent a wetsuit, but that's not so bad. How far is it to get to the Manatees from where we would be diving in WPB? Could we do it on a Sunday morning/afternoon and make it back to WPB in time to catch an early evening flight home?

One last question. How about the currents that time of year? Any stronger than normal? Neither my fiance nor I have done any drift diving (sure you still want to dive with us Baitedstorm? :) ) and don't want to get into too much for the first time.

Thanks again.

ahhhh, no worries, I'll dive with ya'll.... The currents are so hard to prodict from day to day so you'll just have to wait and see.. Just remember, strong current on a drift dive means, lazy diving, no swimming... I wouldn't be all that concerned if your just drift diving, current poses more of a problem if your moored and have to swim back to a boat, or your shore diving and don't like to walk a mile back to your car with your gear on..

GDI:
mscott
you can get some great conditions in WPB that time of year. The reefs are full of tropicals and other such stuff. Some times the larger animals come in closer at that time of year as well. You will want to wear at least a 3mm suit, thicker is ok. I don't think you will need a hood, gloves are always good. Also you may want to have a sweat top or fleece jacket for those surface intervals, in between dives can get a bit chilly. I can suggest a few charters to use
The manatees are better up in the Crystal River area for sightseeing and yes that is a good time of year. If you want I can set you up with a guy who dives all year round looking at manatees

GDI - If you don't mind, I'll take you up on that offer on the contact info for your friend who dives with the Manatees. Is it far from WPB? Any recommendations for a good dive charter in WPB? Thanks again.

mscott- I know that BaitedStorm is going to reccomend the SS Minnow which is good depending on who is working that day. The level of diving expertise varies on that boat and I have heard good stories and bad stories. There is another outfit calledDiving Solutions which is mostly set up as a "student boat" that is a 'basic scuba' boat. I use them when I have found someone to talk back into the water after a year out. It is very easy diving in 55' and they will check to make sure your tank is on and you have your "goggles and flippers."

Be sure to post when you are going to be down this way.. you never know who will show up.

Eric

Perhaps I will be able to make that week. Already looking into flights and the gear is ready to go

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom