What kind of scuba training do you prefer?

How would you like the training described below?

• I'd love it! :D

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Kind of like it

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I wouldn't like it

Votes: 26 32.9%
  • I'd hate it!

Votes: 15 19.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PavoDive

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
In another thread I found this very interesting opinion:

awestholm:
As someone who's just beginning o/w, I too would like an instructor that will "play tricks" on me... I don't think it's appropriate for all students, but I think it would be a useful experience for ME. I'd be happy to have an o/w instructor that taught as some have in the past, taking off my mask, turning off my air, and snatching my regulator at random.

What's your opinion?? would you like that kind of training? why?

I had an Instructor whose methods somehow resembled that. While I think it was really educational, sometimes I found it rather intrusive, and I wasn't always sure the situation was really a controlled one. Retrospectively, I think now that he had everything under control, but back then I wasn't so sure.

I know this is going to sound like I write PADI manuals but - if I have fun that's all that matters.

I read the other thread and it seemed ripe with misunderstanding. I think the intention was good, but the way it was presented and the interpretation left something to be desired.

As far as "tricks" underwater, I think that they should be conducted safely and only progress when the student is ready. For example, a surprise air share drill should be later in the training, rather than the first dive. Of course "tricks" is a broad spectrum that can range from useless to dangerous. I think the student should be tested, but not pushed past their limits.

There are other types of tricks. During my deco proc class, the last question was to plan a dive to 180' using such and such gas, etc. The point of the excercise was partially dive planning, but also to realize that 180' was beyond the training of the class.

Also, any training that encourages a student to think about what risk they are comfortable putting themselves into, is a good thing in my book. Students should be taught to use their minds (and their thumbs if the need arises). This can be done with "tricks", what if scenarios, or critiques of student led dives, or a combination.

A final note, I think the tricks mentioned by awestholm are a bit too extreme for OW, but perhaps suitable for more advanced training. I think most agencies teach OW students how to handle these tricks, although they are not presented as surprises- mask clearing, air sharing, reg recovery.

The hard thing about training, is that it rarely mimics the panic of a real underwater emergency. The closer you can get to the real deal in training (with the appropriate safety measures) the better in my opinion. The trainnig I intend to take is regarded as fairly realistic and people DO fail the training. Which I think is a good thing.

You're right in that it is certainly not for everyone, but to be honest, I want to know how I'd do in a real situation. And if I am not good enough to cut it in class, I am not good enough to cut it out there in the ocean. I'd rather find out before I kill myself or someone else.

That's how I see it anyway.

They used to do a lot of things in the past that they don't do now. I'd like to see the training get a little rougher but more will fail which means less $$$ for everyone involved in the industry.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
They used to do a lot of things in the past that they don't do now. I'd like to see the training get a little rougher but more will fail which means less $$$ for everyone involved in the industry.

Gary D.

I don't want too sound too touchy-feely, but I think the training can be rigourous and prepare students for "real world" diving without getting too rough. The class format would get longer, but that might also mean more $$$ for the industry. Does anyone know how long the classes were back in the "good ol' days" of diving where you merely had to survive to pass?

Gary D.:
I'd like to see the training get a little rougher but more will fail which means less $$$ for everyone involved in the industry.

I think that's not necessarily true... If customers want it rough, they'll certainly will pay to have it rough. Maybe the results of this poll will disclose such trend????<insert X-files music here>

do it easy:
Does anyone know how long the classes were back in the "good ol' days" of diving where you merely had to survive to pass?

When I took my skin diving course (a CMAS one), we had a pool of about 7 instructors and several other DMs and DMs in training (we were quite a bunch of people, also!). The course was about 6 months (!) long, with theoretical classes (2 hours/week) and Pool sessions (3 hours/week). In the theory I learned things that weren't even tangentially touched in my masters :wink: , we had a river experience (with some "body rafting"), and a final set of about 20 openwater skindives, and all of us achieved a very good watermanship (even hough that was part of the entry requirements!).

I think the course scheme worked because most of us were quite young people in college, but frankly I doubt about the marketability of a course as long as that one.

G.P.

do it easy:
I don't want too sound too touchy-feely, but I think the training can be rigourous and prepare students for "real world" diving without getting too rough. The class format would get longer, but that might also mean more $$$ for the industry. Does anyone know how long the classes were back in the "good ol' days" of diving where you merely had to survive to pass?
If memory serves me correctly it was around 24+ hours plus the open water dives.

When the automobile was invented in "The good old days" all one needed to do was survive to drive. Most everything that involves danger has started that way.

There was not a lot of tech stuff back then other than the "Laws" that are rarely shared today. "EVERYONE" learned what the tables were and how to use them as computers were junk and acted as a weight belt. Today they are going more towards computers and less time spent on the tables which IMHO is wrong.

A very large percentage of the sport diver I see today don't carry a watch. If they do they don't set it prior to the dive and have no idea how long they have been down should the computer fail. In "The good old days" everyone needed to keep tract of the dive as the dive progressed.

What I'm getting at is that not all that many years ago a lot more people failed to get certified. The fewer number of people getting certified means less $$$$ for the industry. Today a lot more people pass that shouldn't.

Gary D.

PavoDive:
I think that's not necessarily true... If customers want it rough, they'll certainly will pay to have it rough. Maybe the results of this poll will disclose such trend????<insert X-files music here>

When I took my skin diving course (a CMAS one), we had a pool of about 7 instructors and several other DMs and DMs in training (we were quite a bunch of people, also!). The course was about 6 months (!) long, with theoretical classes (2 hours/week) and Pool sessions (3 hours/week). In the theory I learned things that weren't even tangentially touched in my masters :wink: , we had a river experience (with some "body rafting"), and a final set of about 20 openwater skindives, and all of us achieved a very good watermanship (even hough that was part of the entry requirements!).

I think the course scheme worked because most of us were quite young people in college, but frankly I doubt about the marketability of a course as long as that one.

G.P.

You talking about Skin or Scuba class?

There are very few that would even sign up for a class like that. Most want a shorter class as it is. If they could get it down to a couple of hours more would get signed up but double the time and you would have fewer. Again, less $$$ for the industry.

Gary D.

I think it should be an AOW option.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom