Nov 26 - 3rd annual Turkey Fry!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MMmmm Turkey Fry Lakeland Cracker Style. That sounds delicious!

Hope I am not working that weekend. Where is the diving going to be?

Sounds like a plan to me. Saturday is great. The water won't be too cold yet in Venice either.

Scuba_Jenny:
Sounds like a plan to me. Saturday is great. The water won't be too cold yet in Venice either.
Not with your recently hardened blood vessels Jenny, time for you to thin them out again! :wink:

Put us down as almost certainties for this! Hopefully the viz is up a lot better than last year, i think we got a max of 0.5". Loved the turkey though!

dive4funOften:
Any preference on the date? I personally would like to see it the Sat after Thanksgiving.

Any opinions? Gee I can just imagine!

Maybe I can try to go to Seattle the weekend before T-Day instead of the weekend after...

Sat after Thanksgiving it is. Ok with everyone?

It's tradition to have it on the Saturday following Thanksgiving!! Besides, over the last few days I've been thinking... it gave me a headache so I stopped.. then there was this echo of wind whistling through my head so I started thinking again since the little voices were amusing and helped pass the time.

Anyway, while the little voices were having a silly string fight one of them got this great idea and said aloud "HEY! Colin is allowed to dive again and he's done so some, but not a whole heck of a lot.. in fact, since the start of the year he's only organized one ScubaBoard gathering! We need to do something that gets the whole REGIONAL forum involved somehow."

That was cool..

Sometime later the voices were back at it again using the brain-matter like play-dough and one of them said "SCAVENGER HUNT! A SCUBA SCAVENGER HUNT!" Sooo... I've been mulling it over and here's what I came up with....

In November, the Saturday following Thanksgiving, the Conchs hold an Annual Turkey Fry at Venice Beach. I was thinking of that Noon of that day being the when the Scavenging ends and teams or individuals present their 'goods' for calculation.

The theme of the scavenger hunt would be 'diving' of course.... I was thinking 'Scuba Diving Oddities' or there about. The idea is to get folks posting, posing for pictures, visiting dive shops, and ultimately getting out to Venice Beach to meet others, dive, eat, and scavenge for fossils.

Why am I posting this back here? Two reasons: 1) Why should this just be a Conch thing?? Other regional groups can have a similar game going on as well. 2) Suggestions, ironing out of rules, perhaps some sort of little prizes...

My idea is to gain some buy in from dive shops, charters, shore locations, etc., so that they are able to both participate in the game and have the benefit of divers visiting the shop/boat/site who may or may not normally have gone to the shop/boat/site (i.e. a little attention for participation). This also introduces the shop to ScubaBoard and visa-versa.

Now.. here's the tough bit... Verifying the 'finds' and what type of finds should there be? Should there be a 'token' to find behind the 'budda rock' in XYZ spring kind of like Geocaching? A stamp from a charter? Buy an odd key chain or a fill card good for one fill at a dive shop? Get a picture with Larry from ScubaToys when he's actually posting on ScubaBoard (ok, that would be a TX thing)??

So thats my idea, thats my thoughts... so far.. It's the 28th of September, we've got a little time to work the phone, details, prizes, and items out..... what do yawl think????

Please go to the calendar and sign up so we know how much turkey to bring.

Doesn't anyone have pics from last year?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom