Becoming certified for servicing regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rdharbis1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Should someone want to be able to service their own equipment, like regulators, where do they go to get the proper training. Not to take it on as a business, just to know how to insure your own equipment is always safe and ready to use.

Knowledge is a good thing!

Randy

Training from most manufacturers is usually reserved for dealers or those employed by them. The manufacturers are the only ones who can "authorize" you to do service.

There are some equipment tech schools although I don't know much about them. You can probably find some of their adds in the dive magazines. There are also books like those from airspeed press that are great.

Once you feel you are ready to work on your own it can still be hard to get parts. While none of the manufacturers that I've dealt with have policies against dealers selling parts most will lie about it and refuse to sell them to you. Service manuals are something else that the manufacturers try to restrict to dealers only. Dispite the claims that it's for your own good it's nothing more than an attempt to force you to have a dive shop service your regs.

Lots of us do our own. Some of us won't buy a reg from a dealer or manufaturer who won't sell us parts or service manuals either. For me that means that aqualung and scubapro can kiss my ***.

Manufacturer training is not necessary for DIY service. If you are serious about heading in that direction then start with:

www.airspeedpress.com

You may want to try to get a LDS to send you to one of the manufacturer courses.

You'll find that the manufacturer courses are a lot like reading the airspeed press books.

Only not as detailed.

Peter

PS. You'll also find instructions, schematics, and parts via the old standbye, google.

Thanks, AWAP, the link you provided is along the line of what I was looking for.

I really want to know what is done by those who do the service, not me doing the actual certified service (but that might be in the cards). It's like working on cars, I understand combustible engines but I do not work on them. Still, I have to talk to the mechanic who does and I want to know he has done what he said he did. Even if I did the service I would probably take it to a professional to make sure I didn't mess it up.

OK, paranoid would probably fit! :)

Randy

That Airspeedpress link was very valuable, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom