Streamlining Your Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
Streamlining your gear is important. Way too many divers seem to jump into to the water with half the dive shop hanging from the bazillion d-rings that are put onto bcd’s these days. The drawback of doing this is that your gear can catch on the reef, be dragged through the mud, and otherwise suffer wear and tear that just isn’t necessary.

The cave and wreck divers have streamlined their set up so that stuff doesn’t get caught and so that they can move through the water efficiently. For a rec. diver many of these principles can be applied with the some of the same reasoning.

A couple of days ago, Uncle Pug and myself were diving off the Olympic Peninsula in Washington. We found ourselves diving through these sculpted channels that at times were barely wider than our shoulders. Many of these channels were choked with kelp that was anchored to the bottom. At times not only did we have to thread our way through the rock, but also through the kelp. There were times when kelp stalks would get caught on a wrist gauge or come across our chests. Each time we would have to disengage ourselves. I kept thinking about how glad I was that all my gear was streamlined and that I didn’t have any danglies. I was glad that my knife was small and on my waist instead of down on my calf – where it would have been much harder to untangle it. I was glad that my backup light was clipped off and not hanging. The same was true with my spg and bungeed secondary. I was glad that I didn’t have a snorkel that could have got caught and then pulled my mask off. There were times that the kelp would get caught on my pockets of my dry suit, but moving my legs would take care of that. For the most part though we were able to thread our way through the maze of rock and kelp with impunity.

Here we were on a rec dive where our max depth was 71’ and because we had adopted a single tank tech set up, we never got tangled. Even though going through some of this kelp was difficult at times, my SAC never really changed from a dive where I didn’t have obstructions. Because I wasn’t always untangling myself, I never got nervous and was able to thoroughly enjoy the dive. It never got to the point where it was such a pain that I wanted to call it and make for the surface.

Bottom line – us rec. divers have a lot to be thankful of our more technically oriented friends. We can apply many of their lessons and gear configurations to make our dives safer and more fun. So before you put down these folks and say that tech doesn’t apply in rec. look carefully at the sort of diving that you do. I agree that doubles, multiple gasses along with deco bottles are not necessary if you are planning on staying in NDL. If you are practicing or learning how to dive where you need this sort of gear then by all means bring it on. If all you want to do though is rec diving then for no other reason – streamlining will help lower your SAC rate and that unto itself is worthy.

I wonder if I have enough D rings? :D

Interesting observation. I have found more than once that getting stuck in the kelp is not too difficult to do if you're not paying attention. Getting unstuck can even be more challenging if you have too much junk hanging off you and struggle too much.

I have noticed that some instructors (here in California) stress the importance of being streamlined while others seem to gloss over this. I have watched students go through the OW class looking like a yard sale waiting to happen and wondered how long it will be before they find themselves relentlessly wrapped in the kelp.

Where can you find info on this? I'm new and I do have half the store hanging from my D-rings, but I try to streamline it as much as possible. Would love to see some ideas on how to do that.

Things I thought of:

Using two clips on diff D-rings to basically pin my octo to my chest for easy access
Tuck the excess octo hose under my arm
Clipping my primary computer and tucking it into my cumberbun (which brings the hose tight to my body)
Tucking my inflator under my primary computer to keep it tight to my body
Clipping my secondary computer so that its under my right pocket and out of the way but accessible
Adding shears and a knife to my cumberbun strap
Putting anything I am not currently using in pockets, ie lights, safety sausage

How do these sound? Any ideas on improvement?

Jarrett:
Things I thought of:

Using two clips on diff D-rings to basically pin my octo to my chest for easy access
Tuck the excess octo hose under my arm
Clipping my primary computer and tucking it into my cumberbun (which brings the hose tight to my body)
Tucking my inflator under my primary computer to keep it tight to my body
Clipping my secondary computer so that its under my right pocket and out of the way but accessible
Adding shears and a knife to my cumberbun strap
Putting anything I am not currently using in pockets, ie lights, safety sausage

How do these sound? Any ideas on improvement?
For what it's worth, one can take this concept to the extreme but I think the best place to start is just by using some common sense. From there you can refine your set-up to make it work best for you. You may find that using 2 clips for your gauges or octo may be a bit tiresome dealing with every time you want to check your gauge, and possibly even dangerous if you're in a panic.

If you really want to dive into this topic, take a look at the Hogarthian and DIR areas within the Tech part of this forum. You don't have to accept any of it, but you can get an idea for what they do to help streamline their gear. Like most people, you probably will find a few ideas in there to help with your own set-up without going the whole nine yards (or 7 feet, in the case of the long hose folks). :wink:

There's lots of ways to do things, but some are not that good.

Its much easier to streamline these days. My recreational rig is a seaquest balance with the airsource integrated octo, SOS integrated sausage, suunto cobra air integrated computer, and a lanyard to clip the computer onto my rig. Don't forget my rollup snorkel tucked away nicely.

Jarret: As Tod said the hogarthian/DIR forums are good places to find the advice you are looking for...Just start a thread there with the info you provided here and you´ll get tons of advice...

Oe2X: I agree completely! Although I do "technical dives" the setup is almost more useful in a recreational setting where I´ve found things like the longhose far more useful (never had an OOA-diver on a technical dive but a few in a rec setting). As recdives tend to be shallower and the distance covered greater the leverage of things like streamlining should be even greater for recdiving than tech

Why dont's someone post a picture of one of those DIR dewds..........job done.

deco_martini:
Its much easier to streamline these days. My recreational rig is a seaquest balance with the airsource integrated octo, SOS integrated sausage, suunto cobra air integrated computer, and a lanyard to clip the computer onto my rig. Don't forget my rollup snorkel tucked away nicely.

Streamlining also includes hoses and inflators that may stick out or hang down further than they should. How far does the Airsource hang off of your chest when you are horizontal? Do your hoses stick out past your body enough to create a snag hazard? These are the things you need to check and correct in order to be truly streamlined.
Dive safe,
Robb

OE2X:
Many of these channels were choked with kelp that was anchored to the bottom.

Suggestion!!
It would be a lot easier not to swim through kelp beds. :D

Joe

Amen to this thread. I just hate to see hoses and gadgets dangling everywhere. I'm always yelling "rig up your *****".

I find retractors work nicely for some gear. I have my computer and slate on retractors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom