BC or Wetsuit First

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ca_Ghost

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Looking to start getting gear and am going to have to piece it all together rather than get it in a package. What should I get first?

Wetsuit?

or

BC?

Wetsuit considerations:
ScubaL Standard - $83.00
ScubaL Hybrid - $203
Divetank Artic - $154

BC considerations:
Zeagle Brigade
Scubapro Knighthawk
Seaquest Black Diamond

(As a side note what are the differences in the wetsuits I listed? Other than the Hybrid being a custom suit)

I would argue for the BC. The BC is what you need to be more comfortable using (ditch & don, location of your octo, weight release, and possibly pocket location). A wetsuit doesn't serve any more purpose than to maintain body temperature. You can rent more of a variety of wet suits for different conditions, but if you get stuck in a low-vis situation, you'll have to operate by feel. Better to be comfortable with your BC than to have a wetsuit that fits like a glove.

Also, in Northern California, you might want to consider renting a dry suit for those ocean dives!

Ca_Ghost:
Looking to start getting gear and am going to have to piece it all together rather than get it in a package.

You may want to think otherwise.

I got in on that Aqualung package last deal year where they offered the BC, reg, octo, guages, etc. for under $1000CDN -- which were priced separately for $1700. Plus I got the LDS to throw in a few extras. Not bad for $1000. I've already put 50 dives on them in a year and have to say it was a smart purchase.

- ChillyWaters

I would get an exposure suit first. Rentals never fit properly and chances are the guy before you wizzed in it. You can always snorkel/freedive with a wetsuit too. BC's are much more adjustable and it will give you a chance to try a few different types before you plunk down a big batch of cash...

We got both, but if we had to choose, I would go with the wetsuit simply because the rental shop did not have a wide selection of suits to fit my "ample" frame.

I would go for the wetsuit. Whether they own it or rent it some divers pee in their wet suit and others will say that they don't pee in their wetsuit. :05:

As gross as this may sound, the urine is rinsed out when the wet suit is rinsed (provided the renter rinsed it before returning it). Also, urine is rather sterile, but has a high concentration of amonia in it. Personally, it didn't bother me that someone may have relieved themself in the wetsuit before me, because I'll have my swim suit on between me and the area of the wetsuit in question. I'd rather be familiar with the actual BCD than how well a wet suit fits.

Back
Top Bottom