Sony P-150 and Ikelite MV strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spyder

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings,

I have a Sony P-150 with marine case (MPK-PHB) that my son uses and the internal flash is weak. I'm thinking about putting one of my Ikelite MV strobes on it and Ikelite says I should try using one of their 4100 (discontinued) external slave units. Any one have any thoughts on whether this will work and if so how well?

spyder:
Greetings,

I have a Sony P-150 with marine case (MPK-PHB) that my son uses and the internal flash is weak. I'm thinking about putting one of my Ikelite MV strobes on it and Ikelite says I should try using one of their 4100 (discontinued) external slave units. Any one have any thoughts on whether this will work and if so how well?

The 2 questions you need to ask:
1. Does the Sony P150 fire a pre-flash before the main flash?
2. If so, does the 4100 slave unit have a pre-flash cancellation function?

1. It looks like the P150 fires a pre-flash: the PDF manual clearly states on page 28:
"The flash strobes twice. The first time is the pre-flash which is used to adjust the flash light quantity, and the second time is the actual flash during which the image is recorded"

2. I don't know much about the Ike MV strobes with the 4100 but I will hazard a guess that the 4100 doesn't have pre-flash cancellation (please confirm with Ike). In which case the MV will try and dump twice, once on the pre-flash and leaving it no juice for the main flash.

HTH

Not sure about the Ikelite strobe, I have Sea&Sea with my P150.
However:

Sea & Sea YS25DX (the one I use) is not really powerful enough. Guide number is quoted as 15m on land, so I suggest you get one that is more powerful than this.

The P150 (I think most other Sony's too) uses a preflash, so any strobe must be able to ignore this.

I highly recommend getting the adaptor to mount macro and/or wide angle lenses (all made by Sea & Sea), I have got some great photos using these. You need an external strobe to use them though.

All are correct, that Sony has a pre flash and no hotshoe an almost dead end combination for an external strobe. I don't think even the 4100 will work, no pre flash controls. The 4100 will work with non pre flash units.

Hope someone comes up with a UW pre flash controller soon.

Dive Safe

f3nikon, there are plenty of strobes that will work. Sea & Sea, Inon, Sunpak etc all make strobes that can ignore the preflash. I think Inon even make ones that can mimic the preflash.

I get some great result with my set up, it's just the strobe lacks power.

f3nikon:
Hope someone comes up with a UW pre flash controller soon.

The Ikelite EV manual controller #4100.6 is an UW pre-flash compatible controller. It works with the Ike DS-50 and DS-125 in slave or hard-wired mode and can be set to ignore the pre-flash of a digicam.

Just got off of a chat with Sony support and they confirmed that the preflash cannot be turned off. I just bought an SB-102 for my Nikonos and was planning on keeping the MV's for macro and hopefully using them on the Sony. Looks like I now need to sell them and buy some DS's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom