BP/W No Weight to Dump ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tau

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for answering my questions on previous threads. I am sold on this BP/W thing!

I have decided to get the Hammerheadscuba SS plate with a Halcyon Wing. Here is my biggest concern. I currently carry 12 pounds of lead when diving.

If I were to say, buy a hammerhead Plate(7 lbs) with a 1 piece STA(5lbs), thats already 12 pounds +- 1. The other route would be to get to get the two piece STA (2.lbs) that will give me what 3 pounds to dump? Is this even safe?

Anyone else has this problem?

Absolutely. You'll have to get use to swimming down just a few feet to offset the suit,
but after that YOU HAVE IT...NEUTRAL BOUYANCY!

tau:
Thanks everyone for answering my questions on previous threads. I am sold on this BP/W thing!

I have decided to get the Hammerheadscuba SS plate with a Halcyon Wing. Here is my biggest concern. I currently carry 12 pounds of lead when diving.

If I were to say, buy a hammerhead Plate(7 lbs) with a 1 piece STA(5lbs), thats already 12 pounds +- 1. The other route would be to get to get the two piece STA (2.lbs) that will give me what 3 pounds to dump? Is this even safe?

I have a similar concern regarding weights on BP+Wing. It might give you some idea:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=110311

BIGSAGE136:
Absolutely. You'll have to get use to swimming down just a few feet to offset the suit,
but after that YOU HAVE IT...NEUTRAL BOUYANCY!

Actually at the begining of the dive you will be negative with a full tank, as long as you can swim that up with out putting air in the wing your good. Now if you can't just get the 2 piece sta (less weight) and get a couple of small XS pockets for some ditchable weight.

i thought pockets were not recommended for this type of setup. Would a weightbelt work better? Silly to have a weight belt to carry 2 pounds of lead isn't it?

Get the hammerhead 5lb plate, and the two piece STA. I have a DR plate, and use the plastic STA, works very nice. That way I have some weight on my belt if I ever need to dump it. Imagine your wing/inflator fails, you swim your gear up, now what? Since you can't dump any weight, you better keep swimming, or dump your gear....... exspensive option.

ShakaZulu:
Get the hammerhead 5lb plate, and the two piece STA. I have a DR plate, and use the plastic STA, works very nice. That way I have some weight on my belt if I ever need to dump it. Imagine your wing/inflator fails, you swim your gear up, now what? Since you can't dump any weight, you better keep swimming, or dump your gear....... exspensive option.

Would ditching the 3-4 pounds be enough for this purpose? Where can I get plastic STA?

tau:
Would ditching the 3-4 pounds be enough for this purpose? Where can I get plastic STA?

I dive 10lbs with a steel tank.....so, 5lbs. Good question, I have never tried it, but I should be positive.

You could look at the DR STA

SS BP

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/backplates.shtml

STA - Bottom of this page.

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/tankstraps.shtml

If I had to do it all over again, I would go with this plate......

http://www.deepseasupply.com/page7.html

BTW, you don't need a STA, the tank will just be close to your head??? Your call......

tau:

Maybe, it depends on you and your gear. How much lead do you really need at the end of a dive with nearly empty tanks? Is it really 12lbs? If so you will be neutral and fine at the surface. If 12lbs is a bit much then you will need ditchable weight.

You can get a plastic STA from a Dive Rite dealership. LeisurePro used to sell them cheaply.

You already own the weight belt and weights, so it is no big deal to pick up a lighter STA and throw a couple of pounds on the weight belt until you feel comfortable.

I started with a steel BP and STA and 10 lbs of weight. A few years later I am using a plastic BP with no weight. It changes with your experience, gear, and body fat %.

Hard to pin down over the net :)

If you take it slow and easy it will all work out after a few tweaks.

Regards,
Peter Doege

tau:

Peole say you will be OK without ditchable weight. Yes untill you need to dditch your
weight then you're screwed. I know, no one I know has had to ditch weight but I
could have hadthat problem once when my BC dump valve decided to stick full open.
I was still the surf and simply turned around back to shallow water but what it
it stuck at 120 feet? There I'd be way negative. I could likely swimm up but what
it I'm at 120 feet and low on air (due to being dumb, narc'd, ...whatever)

Also what about trim? what if you find you need to move weight high or lower
You can't add more for that.

There is an easy fix:
Why not go with the Aluminum BP? they are only two pounds and otherwise identical
to the SS BP. Only 12 lsbs in So Cal?? You miust weight about 100 pounds

You are in So Cal. If you can make it to Redondo Beach next Wends. The Dive Rite rep is bringing ddown a ton of gear for people to try out in the water. So Just try it and see.

PM me for details but basically it's 5:30pm in Vet's park. There should be HID lights,
drysuits, BP/W and regs all available to dive with. You should have some exxperiance
doing night dives in surf. For more details ask on www.divevets.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom