Diving to over 500 ft?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chester

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Friend told me last night he thought a woman dove to over 500 feet (free diving.. no scuba gear). I don't know much about the sport but that seemed really deep, though I know it must be different since you aren't breathing air during the ascent/descent.

Anyway, does anyone know if this is accurate?

chester:
Friend told me last night he thought a woman dove to over 500 feet (free diving.. no scuba gear). I don't know much about the sport but that seemed really deep, though I know it must be different since you aren't breathing air during the ascent/descent.

Anyway, does anyone know if this is accurate?

Here's the latest freediving record:

New FreeDive World Record
Coste Sets Record at World Championships
by OutdoorNewsWire.com
September 12th, 2005

Discuss this article in the Scuba Forum

Carlos Cost, a Venezuelan, set a new FreeDiving world record at the FreeDive World Championships in Nice, France on September 4th. According to DeeperBlue.net, Coste dove to 105 meters, breaking Czech diver Martin Stepanek's record of 103 meters.

mstudley:
Here's the latest freediving record:

New FreeDive World Record
Coste Sets Record at World Championships
by OutdoorNewsWire.com
September 12th, 2005

Discuss this article in the Scuba Forum

Carlos Cost, a Venezuelan, set a new FreeDiving world record at the FreeDive World Championships in Nice, France on September 4th. According to DeeperBlue.net, Coste dove to 105 meters, breaking Czech diver Martin Stepanek's record of 103 meters.

That's roughly 345 feet

I had heard that the record was much deeper than that actually.

scubaculture:
Tanya Streeter

August 17th 2002 - Provodenciales, Turks & Caicos.
ABSOLUTE WORLD RECORD ~ No Limits to 525ft/160m in 3 mins 26 seconds.
(Beat both men's and women's previous World Records - Mandy Cruickshank/136m and Loic Leferme/154m)[/url]

AIDA sanctioned no limits dives: Tanya Streeter still holds the women’s record. Loic Leferme (171m) holds the men’s record.

Patrick Musimu claimed a 209.6m dive on June 30th 2005.

There are different categories of freediving.

The "constant weight" category lets you use as much weight as you want to decend, but you have to swim all the weight back up using only your fins. The record here is 262 ft for men and 220 for women. There are also separate lake records of 197 ft for men and 187 ft for women - which I think would be much more psychologically challenging as you would be doing much of it in near darkeness to total blackness even in a relatively clear lake and would almost certainly be encountering much colder water temps.

The "variable weight" category allows you to use up to 66 lbs to descend, but you must ascend using only your fins. The record here is 397 ft. for men and 295 ft for women and 262 ft for the men's lake record.

In the most extreme form - the "no Limits" category - the diver rides a weighted sled that plunges rapidly down a fixed line. When it stops at the bottom the diver pulls a lanyard to inflate a lift bag and rides the bag rapidly up to the surface. During the dive the diver expends relatively little energy. This is where you see 500' depths. The current records (that I am aware of) are 492 ft for men, 378 ft for women and 269 ft for the men's lake record.

There are also static events where divers lie face down in a pool and hold their breath as long as possible. The record here is over 7 and 1/2 minutes.

"Style" also counts however in all the events as the diver must be fully coherent and alert on surfacing. If their eyes are wandering, glazed or if there are any other indications that the diver is other than fully conscious, the time or depth record is nullified.

Current records are posted on the AIDA website as mentioned above. Tanya streeter is the female record holder. I have trained with her and she is a phenom. Go to the website and click on the video of Tom Sietas' static record of 8:58. Sit and watch. Stunning!

Back
Top Bottom