Dive Planning (Long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kilroy

Registered
Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that my recent OW Class was seriously lacking in dive planning instruction or I expected to much. Everbody says "plan your dive, dive your plan" but not much is said about how you actually go about doing this. In addition, I see comments about not "riding the computer" yet I often see dive times and depth on this sight that easily exceed the NDL's. So, I assume they are multi-level dives. How are you planning multi-level dives prior to the dive if your not riding the computer. I have a hunch that more people ride the computer than will actually admit it. I was taught to use the tables which I can do easily but I do not think I was taught the practical application of dive planning. I was hoping to get some feedback on the thought process and steps you go through when planning a dive. Since I'm really interested in the practical application I included the details of a simple dive at La Jolla Shores in San Diego. If your interested and want to take the time, I would like to see how you would plan a dive at this location if you have never dived this site before. What are the steps, question you ask and calculation you make prior to a dive? Don't feel like you need to provide the plan for this dive if it will keep you from providing uselful information. I like to deal with reality rather than theory so I thought a real life dive would help but I realize not many people will actually want to complete the dive plan. Just to be clear, I'm not interested in a basic square profile dive plan off the tables.

I'm more interested to know how you determine:
Time of dive at various depths to stay within NDL. Do you use tables or dive computer simulation programs
Turn around time or pressure what are you basing calculation on
Safety stop plan
How much detail do you really include in your plan for a recreational dive what am I missing.
If I'm nuts and don't need this much detail for recreational diving

Sample Dive
La Jolla Shores Main Wall- Shore Dive
Enter through the surf
Surface swim 150 Yards
Drop down to 30 - 40 feet
Swim west for 20 yards were you will reach a canyon
Drop into the canyon. You will be between 60 - 70 feet.
You can travel along the main wall at this depth.
The wall length is approximatley 75 - 100 yards.
Depending on how long you took traveling the wall you could return the same way or exit the canyon and be in 30 - 40 feet of water. The sandy shore slowly rises to the surf zone exit point. You can consider swimming under water towards the shore to reduce your surface swim or slowly surface doing the safety stop and making the surface swim. Which would you chose and why?
If you want additional details go to:http://www.divebums.com/main.html

Thanks

Kilroy

Come down, and we can go dive it...........get a computor, so we don't have to deal with the tables. You'll end up doing a multilevel dive that will mess up your best dive plan attempts. Air consumption and ndl will limit the dive time. We are doing recreational diving, it's supposed to be fun.

I only have 33 dives logged and out of those 4 or 5 I could honestly "plan". One was an oil rig with a known bottom, and 3 wreck dives. The bottom of the oil rig was deeper than I was willing to go so I decided that 100' was my max bottom. So I planned and wrote on my slate my ndl for 80',100 and 110 I did the same for the Yukon on the Ruby E. I then pretty much "rode my computer". On the oil rig I hit 97' decided I went deep enough as the scenery wasnt changing much so I started to ascend, slowly. Not because I was affraid of skyrocketing, but I went up slowly taking in more of the scenery. As I saw a different colored star fish, I would stop and watch for a few mintues. In a way I did a stage deco dive but I could have come straight up without much worries. I did this not just to be safe, but again to have fun. If your going to dive a site youve never been before, I dont think you can fully "plan your dive". Consider any existing nitrogen time from prievious dives give yourself a max bottom and plan your times.

Take a look at your tables.
Take a look at the NDL's for various depths.
Plot them on a graph.

You should see a patern.
A patern you can use to plan multi-level dives and even on-the-fly ballpark it.

JimC:
Take a look at your tables.
Take a look at the NDL's for various depths.
Plot them on a graph.

You should see a patern.
A patern you can use to plan multi-level dives and even on-the-fly ballpark it.
Huh? I see lots of patterns, but you are talking nonsense. Unless, of course, you can actually explain rather than spout generalities.

Air is the main thing you need to plan for. Figure out what depths you typically dive to and figure out how much air you need for yourself and a buddy to safely ascend from those depths. You may find that you need 1500 psi min if you are at 100 fsw or you need to acsend. Perhaps 1000 psi min if you are at 60 fsw or 750 psi min at 30 fsw. It's a changing number.

To stay away from NDL look at a chart and memorize the most common depths for you and monitor your bottom timer. Back up this thinking process with your computer.

Take deep stops, ascend slowly, know how to plan for slack using current charts and have a great dive.

Since I am slightly inebriated and don't particularly care at the moment...

Lets just disclaimer this then, use at your own risk. If you get bent, sue someone else.

Old navy tables, if you add up depth and bottom time, you get a number equalling 120 for the depth range of 60 - 100 feet. @ 50 and 110 feet, your close to 120. Above 50 it basically becomes a who cares and below 110 your on your own.

Pick whatever tables you want, and if you look at the numbers your going to come out somewhere around 110-120. This is the basis of the "120 rule"

This gives us a starting place. I can now fall into the water and use your brain as a set of tables for square profiles. Which is a start, and a good one. You know at any time if your max depth + time > 120 your into deco. You have achieved two major leaps doing this from running tables.

- Your thinking and monitoring your status underwater, you have to.
- Your breaking away from thinking that tables are exact. Feeling down, make it 110. Drinking last night, make it 100, and so forth.

Great, so I can memorize tables.. big deal. Lets look at a wheel now. You'll find if you run a wheel dive and extrapolate the numbers that you can use your average depth and not your maximum depth, within the range. Now you can fall into the water, with a reasonable estimate of NDL for any reasonable recreational dive on air.

Getting back to the original question:
>Time of dive at various depths to stay within NDL. Do you use tables or dive computer simulation programs:
Nether, use brain. Brain says don't do this dive on air, use nitrox. But, for air numbers it looks like 50-55 minutes in the canyon then ascend and swim out somewhere around 30 feet looking at stuff on swim back as gas allows.

>Turn around time or pressure what are you basing calculation on:
Since you can surface and swim back at any point in this dive, I would use a rock bottom calculation and then add in an estimated swimming back calculation. A 150 yard swim is about 10 minutes. 10 minutes for me at 30 feet is about 10 cf of gas or about 400 psi in an AL80. Rock bottom from 70 feet is about 800 psi (working from wine clouded memory) and thus..

At 50 minutes or 1200 psi leave trench and begin swim back.

>Safety stop plan:
Since a long period is spend at 20 feet, and likely a slopping exit there really wouldn't be one except in emergency. In which case, to my taste 1min@30, 2@20, 2@10.

>How much detail do you really include in your plan for a recreational dive what am I missing.
Among my crew that dive would be planed about as such.
We'll go down the trench for 40-50 minutes and swim home? Ok.

The only guys I've met who put that much detail into their dive plans are tech divers. And I guess they really need to go into details.

When I dive the main things taken into consideration are max. depth and the current. For repetitive dives I keep the subsequent dives shallower than 20m and generally spend 20-30min @ 15-20m. after that I stay <10m.

One thing, the ocean always comes up with surprises, so working a bit of flexibility into your dive plan usually is a good idea.

Ok I see this as being a very good question. Each dive you make has three criteria that control the dive once you hit the water. Your dive Plan (plan your dive and dive your plan) is only good up to the moment that your feet/fins hit the water. Each dive is controlled by Depth , Air, and Time.
If you were instructed to use just tables and told about the computer then you were not given the benefit of the whole package. First of all the computer as great as it is does not care about how you feel that day, your health or your working rate. Usually it does not care about your SAC rate and it does not care about your experience level. In short neither do the tables. Both the computer and the tables really are derived from the same mathematical equations and for the most part will reflect the same information as to what you can do at any given depth. Unlike the tables however the computer has the advantage of real time current information regarding your dive and credits you for your ascent by allowing for off gasing of nitrogen (multi level diving). Neither the computer or the tables (most computers) factor in the SAC rate of the diver and at most only concern themselves with the nitrogen loading of the diver's tissues. In planning your dives you should consider that the computer and tables need to be used in unison with each other and the diver should not only base their dive on nitrogen times but also on turn pressure (gas supply limits) times. The moment that you reach a criteria of time (desired bottom Time) or air (turn pressure) at any given planned depth then you would begin your ascent to the surface/ Which ever criteria you reached first would determine when you terminate the dive. Of course you would plan your dive to the weakess link in the dive team.

In summary: Use your computer in support to and with your tables and plan for your air/gas breathing limits of the heaviest breather of your dive group. This is something I teach to all my open water students. Now whether they use it or not after the class is up to them

Kilroy:
I'm more interested to know how you determine:
Time of dive at various depths to stay within NDL. Do you use tables or dive computer simulation programs
Turn around time or pressure what are you basing calculation on
Safety stop plan
How much detail do you really include in your plan for a recreational dive what am I missing.
If I'm nuts and don't need this much detail for recreational diving...
You aren't nuts. Most recreational divers do very little planning. And, most recreational dives don't end tragically so perhaps in most cases they really don't need to.

The problem is that when you hear about tragedies and (especially) near-misses you begin to understand that dive planning and pre-dive communications could have, in nearly all the cases, either prevented the problem in the first place or at least mitigated the consequences.

Since most recreational divers don't have the ability to foresee the future, and hence can't predict when or how a dive will suddenly turn snotty, dive planning is something that many recreational divers could improve on and be much safer for very little effort. 99% of the time it may indeed be overkill - but that 1% when it isn't can be real exciting...

Here is a basic outline that would work for recreational diving. (I'm unfamiliar with the site you chose, but its irrelevant - this outline would work anywhere.) This outline can be modified indefinitely, but its a place to start. SADDD = Site, Air (Nitrox), Duration, Depth, Direction

Site isn't only the name of the site, e.g. "Octopus Hole". It also encompasses the high/low slack tide times; any currents in terms of direction and relative strength; and weather - prevailing winds, waves (e.g. "2' to 4'"), or predicted fog - temperature changes or fronts. This information may assist in working out situational responses, e.g. "if we surface and there is a dense fog, we'll tie into a single jonline, Diver A will signal, etc." (It also gives you some important parameters in terms of deciding whether to simply call the dive and go have a few beers instead...)

Air or "gas planning" is more than simply "get back to the boat with 500 psi". One important thing to know is your personal consumption rate: how quickly you use up the air you carry. Two distinct values are your SAC or surface air consumption rate, and/or your RMV or Respiratory Minute Volume which is your SAC adjusted for depth and the volume of your tanks. SAC is pretty simple to calculate, and will give you a useful idea of how fast you'll use the air you carry. Another important thing to know is your buddy's consumption rate. The goal is to be able to identify how much gas would be needed to return both you and your buddy to the surface from the deepest point of your dive. Then you back that amount out of the total gas available to each diver, and plan to only work with the remainder. The idea is that if you or your buddy suffer some catastrophic equipment failure at the deepest point of the dive, the other diver will always have sufficient gas to return both divers to the surface.

One simple way to approach gas planning is to ask yourself how important it is that you return to a specific place. You can plan to use all your air, half your air outbound and the other half returning, or can plan to use thirds. If you're in a pool or confined water and it really doesn't matter where you surface as you can get out anywhere, its fine to plan to use all the gas you carry - aside from that amount you've backed out for emergency response. Under most circumstances divers often plan to use half their gas going out and the other half returning to their point of origin. In most cases this works, again, assuming you've backed out of your total gas available the amount you would need to respond to an emergency. In some specific cases it may be critically important that you return to a very specific point of origin - e.g. the anchor line, when you're diving off an anchored boat. Parameters like unforeseen ocean currents can make getting back challenging at times. Under these circumstances 'halves' may not be enough - you may even plan to use a third of your gas out, a third back, and save a third for responding to 'issues' (like trying to fight your way back to the wreck after the currents have blown you off it...) While it isn't common in recreational diving there may be specific situations where you use a tactic like this in gas planning, particularly when its critically important that you return to a specific point.

The idea is that all divers know in advance how much gas to hold in reserve, and at what point they must "turn the dive" in order to ensure - given their individual rates of consumption - that they have sufficient gas to return to whatever point has been agreed on.

Duration is your estimated bottom time, using a planned average depth and your SAC. It may also identify the point at which you agree to turn the dive. "We'll proceed along this <wall, wreck, whatever> for 20 minutes, then turn the dive and swim back for 20 minutes"...so you agree to turn the dive at EITHER a specific time, OR when the first diver hits their turn point based on gas consumption. Duration also indicates the point at which you both plan to call the dive - e.g. if your bottom time has been planned for 45 minutes, at 45 minutes into the dive - unless something has come up - the buddy team should be checking with each other and beginning their ascent.

Depth is an agreed upon depth that will not be exceeded, based on the plans for the amount of gas needed to bring both divers up from the 'deepest point'. You don't HAVE to stay at that depth, but its a "do not exceed" figure. You plan your NDL depth/time limits using tables. Your computer may give you additional time, but remember, the computer may not be able to factor in duress, anxiety, fatigue, dehydration, confusion, CO2 build-up as a result of short shallow breathing due to some issues at depth, etc. Computers are stupid. It is unwise to push them to the NDL limits. Under ideal circumstances you and your buddy may even agree in advance to extend the dive during the shallow portion at the end of the dive, but the point is to have a plan first, deviate as agreed upon in advance, rather than simply wing it from the start.

Direction includes compass bearings, direction of movement, and who leads. If you don't have compass bearings in advance, before the dive, then one diver is responsible to take bearings at the site, boat anchorage, bottom of the anchor line (on the wreck), etc. An idea of which way the current is running, and which direction was "shore" could come in handy in a number of scenarios, fog being only one... Direction of movement takes tides and currents into consideration. Move against them outbound, with them returning, generally... Leadership means who leads the buddy team. While any diver can call the dive at any time, by assigning roles and responsibilities the effectiveness and efficiency of the team can be enhanced - whether taking pictures, hunting for dinner, bringing up an artifact off a wreck, or simply exploring a reef. Leadership also includes a review of the hand signals or light signals that you and your buddy will use, especially those that indicate duress or other 'issues' that require a rapid response. Perhaps the most important part of 'leadership' and direction is ensuring that the Plan B that will be used in emergencies - who will do what, who will have what equipment available, etc. - is discussed ahead of time and agreed to by both divers.

The best way to avoid emergencies is to prevent them in the first place. Dive planning is a real easy, simple way to avoid misunderstandings, communications failures, and confusion following an encounter with high currents, poor visibility, or bad weather. Failing to plan is basically planning to fail. When you're confronted with a sudden emergency you'll tend to do exactly what you planned to do. If you effectively planned nothing, you'll do nothing effective.

Hope this helps,

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom