Travel Bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaThor

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking for suggestions on gear bag, i.e. what does everyone use when they travel? I have a duffel bag that I currently use, but it's pretty damn heavy and cumbersome. On the other hand, I don't feel like shelling out $150+ for a "scuba-specific" rolling bag. This thing would need to be able to withstand airline travel. Any ideas would be welcomed.
Thanks.
T

I know that this is probably not what you want to hear but...

...you NEED a good gear bag.

You can't beat any product from Stahlsac. Primo quality and tops in support.

Here's one...or two...
http://scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Bags.asp?PAGE=2

If you do any traveling, you will be glad you have one.

Or...you can fumble with duct tape.

Enjoy your vacation. Why add frustration just to save a few bucks?

I pack differently for airline travel vs. what I use to haul gear to the boat or a shore dive.

For airline travel I just use a regular suitcase for both my dive gear and the rest of my stuff. Usually a Samsonite F'Lite series lightweight hardside.

For hauling gear to the boat, a small non-wheeled duffel bag works well for everything except the BCD, which I wear.

If I've packed too much stuff or hit the weight limit on the hardside suitcase, the duffel bag goes as a checked bag, carrying just indestructible items such as wetsuit, fins, and clothing.

Thor,

If you want, you can go the "cheap route" and get a ruller duffle bag from Walmart, etc.

However, they aren't made to hold the weight of wet scuba gear. They don't have
re-enforced zippers, re-enforced corners, heavier fabric, etc. Saltwater also doesn't
do them much good at all. I went this route and it worked fine, for a while.
I bought a $40 roller duffle from Wally-mart and made about 4 airline trips with
it. Well, the 4th trip, it just fell apart.

So instead of buying a $100-$150 bag at first, I did the cheap route and then
after that bag fell apart, I THEN paid the $$$ for a better bag. I just just
lucky that with my cheap bag it didn't rip open while I wasn't there, like
on the airport tarmac or the luggage cart.

Other suggestions for a good quality bag:
* get one with rollers
* get one with heavy duty zippers.
* If a duffle type, get one with compression type straps to tighten the load down.
* get one with re-enforced corners
* DON'T get one with a bunch of dive flags on it. It just says STEAL ME

I like them that have one big huge center compartment. This means I can
lock it with one TSA lock. Maybe a fin pocket also is nice though.
I don't like the ones that have the 'regulator' pocket on the front of it.
What were they thinking? as soon as some airline employee throws another
bag on it, it would crush what ever is in that pocket, such as a regulator.
(of course most people carry-on their regulator sets in airline travel).

Having one with the "extendable pull handle" makes it much easier to pull
or push in an airport, especially when you are trying to pull clothing luggage
also.

Since you said you didn't want to spend $150 on a roller bag, might
I suggest this Tusa one which is $75 for a roller.

http://www.divesports.com/mall/tusa_bag_rd2.asp

I've got a GatorMax roller duffle bag. I think it was slightly larger
than the one above when I looked at them, but it was $125-$140.
But they are hard to find in stock anywhere now days.
But I've been really happy with that bag. Delta Airlines hasn't
been able to tear it up (yet).

Hope that all helps. -Mike

With thte group I dive with almost everyone has the big Akona. Theyre big, hold a lot of gear but kind of a poor design. They always fall over on their face, and for some reason the zippers seem to break alot on them (mines being fixed right now) One guy had the Stahlsac and most people were eyeballing it on our last live aboard. They seem to be of better quality and design, but you pay for it!

Ive got the TUSA roller and love it good quality airline tough and lots a room :10:
and I also had a Wally world bag dont waste your $$$ for the price you pay there your just about 1/2 way to a good one

HAPPY DIVIN
Scot :)

Like others have alread said, don't go the cheap route if you can afford it. I paid $59 last year for a High Sierra roller duffle and the airlines broke the whole back out of it on my first trip. I now have been looking at the Akona Evoulution and the Armour roller back pack.

aquamann:
Like others have alread said, don't go the cheap route if you can afford it.
Or don't go the route of trying to have one bag fulfill two different sets of requirements.

Solid, well made suitcases are reasonably priced, and can hold all your dive gear + all the other stuff you travel with.

A lightweight, low cost non-wheeled duffle bag with nylon zippers does a good job of taking gear to and from the boat, and not taking excessive space once you've setup your gear.

One of my pet peeves are people that show up on boats with huge wheeled duffle bags that don't fit under the boat benches and take up a lot of space. The only thing more obnoxious is people that litter the deck with large rubbermaid containers.

Most airlines have a 50 lbs per bag limit. Keep this in mind when buying your bag. I love my Armour bag but can only fill it 3/4 full or pay the extra for being too heavy. Bigger isn't always better!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom