Trip to Jacksonville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaLizard

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Navy guy here going to NAS Jacksonville for a few months from jan to june & wanted to know what the good word on the diving in the area. willing to dive about 4 to 5 hours in all directions and posibly to the southern tip of FL on a long weekend. any specifics you guys would recomend? i got a couple in pensacola that i've known for a while that are gona let me shack up there so whats in that area that i shouldnt miss too? thanks in advance =)

AT2 Lizard

you have a few options:

1. off-shore jacksonville/fernandina beach/ st. augustine:

basically, these dives are all the same. starting in April, the charters
will start making regular runs. they take you about 10 miles out, to
a ledge (limestone reef) and a wreck (artificial) on each trip. depths
are at around 80-90 feet. visibility is pretty good. it is, however,
expensive (around $100, air included).

2. you can dive the springs if you go west from Jax. lots cheaper
(around $30.00 for the private springs, $10.00 or so for the state springs)
you really need to get a minimum of cavern certification to really
enjoy these springs.

3. go south to Daytona: about the same as Jax, but not as expensive

4. to get some really nice diving, you need to go further south to about
Jupiter. there's tons of boat diving down towards West Plam and Miami,
nice shore diving near Ft. Lauderdale.

5. some very nice reef diving in Key Largo. that's about a 5 hour trip away.

Andy pretty much said it all...I've never dove offshore Jax so I have no idea about that. The springs and South Florida are good ideas though. Jax is definitely not the diving hub of the world but there are far worse places you could be stuck. At least you will be a short drive to good stuff.

if you want/need a dive buddy, let me know

i'm always looking for people to ruin their days... er... to dive with

Whatever.....ScubaLizard,just got done doing 14 dives this past 5 days from 110' to 165'.Had 40' vis for the most part BT was a constant 81.Had spotted and regular dolphin(mammal type)swim around us during deco.Saw tons of fish and spearfished a bunch as well as lobstering.Got a lot.

Jax has tons of killer diving including many ex-Navy planes from either artificial reefs or crashes included are A-6,A-7,F-4 and quite a few others back to WW2 vintage.There are hundreds of wrecks and artificial bottom.literally a 1000 or more seperate ledges most teeming with life.Many tropicals find thier way up here. www.atlanticprodivers.com and Jax Scuba Center do trips from late spring to fall.Many of the guys on Spearboard and Florida Sportsman forums have boats and will occasionally take visitors.Mention you are in the Navy and a hook-up is pretty certain.Most of the guys who dive locally spearfish.If you plan on any winter diving bring a 3mm or thicker hood and at least a 5mm suit the thicker the better as WTs will get to the 50's.I do 100 to 150 dives off Jax every year for a long time and it never gets old.

Pensacola has lots of artificial reefs offshore. You can dive purposely sunk boats, accidentally suck boats, boats sunk by Uboats, ect. There are sunken rigs, barges, tugs, bridge rubble, liberty ships up to 400' long, tanks, boxcars, jets, planes, and natural reefs. There are even a few beachable dives.

Since you're willing to drive as far as Pensacola, you might want to look into the springs found in the panhandle as well. Vortex, Morrison, Cypress all make great spots to dive.

If you need a buddy in the panhandle, shoot me a line, I might be available.

I'll be in Jacksonville from Oct 8-10. I just sent Atlantic Pro Divers an email about going out on the 8th or 9th. I don't have a buddy as of yet so if anyone's interested...

Absolutely H2Andy, would love to have a dive partner. i should be reporting there early january or early feb. its all orders pending. when i arive its kind of the off season. i look forward to using my 3 mill. got it thinking it would be enough for the off shore virginia but WHOA was i wrong lol. think a 7 mill in january would be enough or is it dry suit time? if its 3 mill all year long i'll definately be stoked, lots less cumbersom & much more dexterity.

oh & Suprbugman, would love to dive with ya on the panhandle. seems you know where the good spots are & would be just the dude to hang out with to check it out =)

d@n:

let me know how the October 8 or 9 date goes. i can do either, hopefully, unless
something unforseen happens. would love to buddy up

ScubaLizard: got your PM, thanks. i think Jan or Feb for SURE you will need
at least a 7 mil, and i'm not sure i'd like to do it wet. if we can get a boat,
i'll join you dry, though. also, we can do some springs (70-degree water year
round)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom