Does Transderm Scop patch have to go behind the ear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarryNL

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When using the Transderm Scop patch, is there some reason it needs to go behind the ear, or can it go anywhere on the body? It's just, as a dry suit diver, it seems a bit silly to put it on one of the few places that actually gets wet.

BarryNL:
When using the Transderm Scop patch, is there some reason it needs to go behind the ear, or can it go anywhere on the body? It's just, as a dry suit diver, it seems a bit silly to put it on one of the few places that actually gets wet.
but I used one. ONCE. Never again ( I'm saying that now, anyway ) because it made me really tired. I was told that I was slurring my speach a little while I had it on. Very strange...

If you use it, put one on the day before to see how you react to the thing.

Randy43068:
but I used one. ONCE. Never again ( I'm saying that now, anyway ) because it made me really tired. I was told that I was slurring my speach a little while I had it on. Very strange...

If you use it, put one on the day before to see how you react to the thing.
Removing them early can cause drug withdrawal, too. They are antihistamine drug pumps, and strong side effects are possible.

I'll see if I can get a pharmacist I know to post there....?? :14:

I believe behind the ear is the spot because it "dries up" the inner ear liquid that makes ya queazy.

I have used them for years without problems, and know many others who do as well. They do stay on when wet very well.

That said, I would absolutely put one on and wear it for a couple of days just to be sure how your body reacts. The only thing I notice is a very dry mouth, and since staying hydrated is good, it works ok, cuz I drink more.

DandyDon:
Removing them early can cause drug withdrawal, too. They are antihistamine drug pumps, and strong side effects are possible.

I've dived with them for years. It does make you a little sleepy but, since I christened by regulator one of the few times I dived without one, I think it's safer to dive with them. They always get wet -- I wear them for 3 days at a time (the recommended dosage) for up to two weeks of daily diving and daily showering and they stick just fine.

The withdrawal can be an issue. When I've experienced this in the past, it's manifested itself as dizziness and a crushing headache. Symptoms are relieved a little with a liberal supply of gatorade and sleep and it usually goes away in a day or so. That said, I think I've found a way to combat it.

If I wear a patch for 1 day (like I did, yesterday), I can pull-off the patch and it's okay as long as I don't scrub the area (it feels good to clean the area thoroughly using a washcloth but don't do it) to remove any lingering medicine off my skin abruptly.

If I go for a week, then I have to be careful about how I pull it off. What works for me is to leave the last patch on for 6 days rather than 3. Again, when I pull it off, I don't scrub the area but wash gently with soap and water. The sleepiness and cotton mouth taper-off over the 6 days and I get no nasty side-effects. I do, however, get funny remarks from people at work.

Oh man, I had the WORST withdrawl symptoms the one time I ever used the patch (which is why I will just try to leave the thing on for weeks next time :) ). We went on a cruise and the day I took mine off, on shore, I felt crushing dizziness to the point of being unable to stand or drive in a car for over two days. It sucked.

BAH SEASICKNESS!

WadeGuthrie:
If I go for a week, then I have to be careful about how I pull it off. What works for me is to leave the last patch on for 6 days rather than 3. Again, when I pull it off, I don't scrub the area but wash gently with soap and water. The sleepiness and cotton mouth taper-off over the 6 days and I get no nasty side-effects. I do, however, get funny remarks from people at work.
They're just jealous of your wicked life style. :biggrinba

Tell them it's for hormones. :silly:

Kristi is partially right - putting the drug behind the ear gets an increased local effect on the nerve fibers in the inner ear responsible for nausea.

The main reason, however, is one of drug absorption. When the drug was being designed, the manufacturer based the dosing properties on behind-the-ear application of the patch. When you apply it to other parts of the body, you could get more or less drug, depending on the location and your body's composition.

My guess is that the manufacturers chose the area behind the ear for the local effect and because the amount of subcutanous fat, skin thickening, etc. at that location probably varies less than at other parts of the body (think thighs).

Hope that helps. If you want to get technical, here's a little presentation on the whole issue for pharmacists.

-G

http://www.pharmacy.umaryland.edu/faculty/rdalby/Teaching Web Pages/Transdermal Drug Delivery.pdf

DandyDon:
They are antihistamine drug pumps

Scopalamine is an anticholinergic drug rather than an antihistamine. Many antihistamines do have anticholinergic side effects so there are similarities.

mstevens:
Scopalamine is an anticholinergic drug rather than an antihistamine. Many antihistamines do have anticholinergic side effects so there are similarities.
Damn I hate to be wrong on a detail. But thanks. :thumb:

Hey, at least I found Grier and got him to drop in. :D

Here are some interesting reference sites, one with a $5 discount coupon...

Tranderm Scop

scopolamine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom