Vortex Springs Trip Report 9/16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philmottrek99and02

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Finally managed to get a dive in at Vortex Springs this past Friday. I left Hattiesburg, MS around 8 am and found myself on the road south to Mobile (Hwy 98) to jump on I-10 toward Pensacola. The total drive with mini stops to remove the ever-collecting Love Bug mess from my windshield was over 4 hours. I met Cewarbin at the dive shop and got my gear. He was a wonderful host and helped out with the gear I was renting. We geared up and snorkeled over to the deepest section and began our decent. As advertised, the water was gin clear as not too many classes were down that deep. Actually we saw only one organized class. After getting buoyancy at the entrance to the cavern, we ventured about halfway to the grates, turned around and came back out. We saw the usual assortment of Bream and fresh water eels. We checked out the natural beauty of the site and made a 3 min safety stop before exiting. After cleaning gear and having a bit of conversation, I departed for Auburn, AL (3 more hours of driving). I went to the football game, visited with family and friends and left around 11 on Sunday. I almost turned north to do a dive in Pelham with some other SBer's, but could not stand another couple of hours behind the wheel when I was already looking at a 5-hour drive. A few more stops to clean off the Love Bug mess and I got back to Hattiesburg a little after 4. I'll try and post some photos of my adventure when they get scanned.
Howard

Sounds like you guys had a great time out there, looking forward to the pics.

Dove Vortex on Sunday myself. Lot's of classes in the water, but they didn't disturb the bottom too much. The fish seemed to be more cooperative this weekend. They had the lights on in the cave, so we went as far as the lights; the green rope lights that is. I like Vortex, but I have dove there the last two weekends in a row and have seen it all. Anyone doing Morrison this coming weekend; haven't dove there yet. But, if anyone is diving this coming weekend; I would meet and greet and dive it for sure.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Sounds like you guys had a great time out there, looking forward to the pics.
Ditto

Had a great time diving with Howard on Friday. Posted some photos in Deep Dixie and a overall trip report on the trip to Merrit's Mill Pond.

Hoss,

Be good to see those pics Howard, my camera didnt cooperate with the WA lens on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom