Air consumption

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaticker

New
Reaction score
Can anyone advise the "normal" consumption of air. I know the formula to adjust for depths etc. Just not sure of the average "surface air consumption" or SAC.
For me, I'm 60, 6'2", 200 lbs. I do almost all salt water.
Thanks

It depends, you will more than likely have a higher SAC rate than many. Average runs from .5 to 1 cubic foot per minute. I personally swing anywhere between .52 and .74 depending on the conditions of the dive. Cold, dark, strenuous activity, and stress can all contribute to higher SAC rates.

As Chrispete said, "It all depends. . ." - and that's about the extent of the answer. Everyone has a different SAC rate. Your normal SAC rate is that consumption of air that you require to remain conscious at that particular moment.

But all said and done, it'll probably be somewhere between .35 and 1.5 cubic feet of air per minute.

the K

Click search, click advanced search, enter consumption, limit the seatch to titles only and the "Basic Scuba Discussions" and there you have it, your question answered dozens of times already.

Roak

Do not get hung up on SAC rate however.

If you have eliminated the usual problems that lead to excessive air use (poor bouyancy control, extraneous hand arm and body movement, not relaxing underwater, breathing shallow, poor breathing pattern, etc) and still have a sac rate that is higher than normal, don't push to reduce it.

Skip breathing and other means to reduce SAC rate are effective but lead to CO2 retention which can aggravate nitrogen narcosis and leave you much more suceptible to oxygen toxicity. Plus they can give you a really killer headache.

jaticker:
Can anyone advise the "normal" consumption of air. I know the formula to adjust for depths etc. Just not sure of the average "surface air consumption" or SAC.
Thanks
Have you calculated your own? I mean kneel on the sand (or do whatever you do--at a constant depth), record the depth, and record your start and end times and your start and end cylinder pressures.

BigTuna:
Have you calculated your own? I mean kneel on the sand (or do whatever you do--at a constant depth), record the depth, and record your start and end times and your start and end cylinder pressures.

Ive heard this mentioned while diving at a constant depth but how meaningful is it if you're kneeling there. Kneeling would rule out many of the gas theives and nt much of a diving metric. For a static value you could sit on the couch and suck dowm 500 PSI and time it.

Pete

what helped me a lot was my comfort level in the water. i always had a good sac rate but it never helped when i was just new to scuba. but when i improved my buoyancy and propulsion techniques i triully noticed a increase in air sacings by my comfort level.

jaticker:
Thanks

I have been calculating my psi/min on each of the few dives I have done. I notice that overall they are very similar, except the first two days in the lake as part of the OW class. I was really sucking it down then. I probably still am.

I would be interested in the formula for adjusting for depth. I havent done any deep diving. Deepest so far is 35'. I just figured that it might be twice as much at 30', three times as much at 60' and 4 times as much at 90'.

I will do the search that roakey suggested.

Willie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom