training path suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beboandles

Contributor
Reaction score
just wanted to hear suggestions from some of you experienced divers! I finished ow certification last month.(I was addicted before we even hit the open water,and after it only got worse)I have spoke with lds and they have suggested that I go ahead with AOW and nitrox,which of course didnt take much persuading.
Now before the question,let me make it clear that I undertand that cards do not make the diver.If I had the choice of hiring someone in a certain field,I would hire someone with vast on hand experience before I would hire the person fresh out of school with no pratical experience but a degree.I know that only diving will make me a better diver,but here is where I would like your guidence.
1)Does anyone have any suggestions on course paths that would actually help build a solid foundation of learning.( I am interested in all)?
2)Is there an order that you would suggest(ex. peak performance before drift,etc)
3)would you slow the courses down a little and just dive awhile before continuing classes?(i hope not but respect your experience)
I would appreciate any suggestions from you real divers because this has become a passion for me and I want to make the most of it by being as effecient as possible.

oh,and if anyone has a solution to this work thing that is getting in the way of my diving,I would also appreciate that also.

If you are interested in a class that will really stretch your learning check out GUE's DIR-fundamentals course... It's especially helpful for new divers and does not require any interest in tech.

http://www.gue.com

Aloha, Tim

I just certed in mid-April, have 65 logged dives now. I did about 20 dives before AOW, shook out my buoyancy/trim through getting wet -- didn't bother with peak buoyancy. I picked up Nitrox on a resort vacation -- much cheaper than going through my LDS, especially when combined with Nitrox for the entire week. I'm taking Rescue now.
(I also did a drysuit class -- combined that with my OW, since the water was a bit, shall we say, brisk, when I did my OW dives)
Personally, I'm content with what I've done -- just went out and did a lot of diving, got connected with a buddy who is equally new, equally into diving. AOW was absolutely worthwhile, as we have a lot of wrecks here that take you into the 100' zone, and in my class night diving was one of the AOW dives (recommended), but I'm glad that I did the other dives first, worked buoyancy/trim.
(I prefer to spend $ on equipment rather than specialty classes like drift/buoyancy/photography/..., though there's nothing wrong with taking them if you're interested.)

For me, taking the Advanced course very soon after the Open Water course was very beneficial. I was a nervous new diver and appreciated the chance to do a few more dives under the direct supervision of an instructor. Plus, it was a good introduction to deep, night, navigation, etc. After that I felt comfortable enough to go on a few easy dives with my husband sans instructor or guide. Of course shortly after that we got addicted, took Rescue, then Divemaster, then Instructor...but hey, not everyone goes that crazy. I think getting your Enriched Air Nitrox wuld be a good idea. Then just think about your personal diving interests...there is something for everyone...underwater video, tek stuff, wreck specialty...the list is endless.

Beboandles:
just wanted to hear suggestions from some of you experienced divers! I finished ow certification last month.(I was addicted before we even hit the open water,and after it only got worse)I have spoke with lds and they have suggested that I go ahead with AOW and nitrox,which of course didnt take much persuading.
Now before the question,let me make it clear that I undertand that cards do not make the diver.If I had the choice of hiring someone in a certain field,I would hire someone with vast on hand experience before I would hire the person fresh out of school with no pratical experience but a degree.I know that only diving will make me a better diver,but here is where I would like your guidence.
1)Does anyone have any suggestions on course paths that would actually help build a solid foundation of learning.( I am interested in all)?
2)Is there an order that you would suggest(ex. peak performance before drift,etc)
3)would you slow the courses down a little and just dive awhile before continuing classes?(i hope not but respect your experience)
I would appreciate any suggestions from you real divers because this has become a passion for me and I want to make the most of it by being as effecient as possible.

oh,and if anyone has a solution to this work thing that is getting in the way of my diving,I would also appreciate that also.

Going diving is probably more important than taking classes. That said if you are launching into a totally new area taking a class can have some value. But in the end there is no subsitute for experince. After taking classes you may find that what your instructor told you was correct in certain situations, but not others. It is hard to watch out for what was left un-said but that is what you have to do. Do not take anything on faith, think it out, keep the good stuff and chuck the rest.

Be careful, go slowly, but do get in the water...and dive.

A.

I second Tim's suggestion for DIR-Fundamentals... Classroom, in water and video debriefs and working your tail till late at night for the whole class...

Read this SeaJay's DIR-F report

I suggest finding divers with more experience and better skills then you and diving with them as frequently as possible. AOW and Rescue is fine, but won't compare with lots of dives with quality mentors.

Lots of diving.

Find quality mentors.

I hope to always be in this mode.

BTW, I'm not against classes. I'm taking the DIRF class in November.

Rick -- you taking the 5th Dimensions class in November? I'm hoping I will be, too (haven't been able to reach anybody at the shop to find out if it's full already . . . )

I did AOW right after OW because I, too, was a nervous diver. It helped a lot. Buoyancy was an big issue (still is some of the time, but it wouldn't be as bad if I could ever get my equipment configuration stable), but mostly I just didn't have the bandwidth to handle the viz, buddy skills, buoyancy, navigation, etc. all at once.

After AOW, I was lucky enough to find a mentor (thank you, Bob) who has helped me a lot, both with tips and just with diving experience. But the more I have seen and talked to people and read, the more convinced I became that that kind of quality I was looking for was to be found in the DIR classes. So on to November! Luckily, I have no illusions about my abilities, so it won't be a big blow.

TSandM:
Rick -- you taking the 5th Dimensions class in November?
Yup.

I've missed other opportunities 'cause they fill up quick (don't know about November, though).

I'd call 'em tomorrow.

Rick

Skip the classes, book a few trips on a liveaboard or to Coz or Rotan and you'll become that vast hands on experience diver instead of the fresh out of school with a no practicle expereance diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom