Internships....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Has anyone had either direct or indirect experience of Diving internships offered by Mermaids in Pattaya, Thailand.....

Relatively new OW diver who would like to work towards a possible career, the internships seem quite a good deal financially for what you get, but in 'Real Life' is there actually gonna be much likelyhood of a 'newbie' OWSI with 200 dives gettin any work by takin the intern route? I have heard that many dive schools aren't all that interested in takin on newly graduated OWSI interns due to the fact that they have been trained over a course of only several months, and inherently lack experience....

Any responses would be greatly appreciated!

Steve.

Sorry, I can't help you there, but if someone says you don't have enough experience, ask them why the define experience as length of time diving versus number of logged dives, in differing conditions. That may be able to help you out. For what it's worth.

Firebrand:
Sorry, I can't help you there, but if someone says you don't have enough experience, ask them why the define experience as length of time diving versus number of logged dives, in differing conditions. That may be able to help you out. For what it's worth.

Steve,

I asked this question about this same company a couple months ago. I'm thinking of doing the same thing. When I asked the general response was "why would you want to rush to become an instructor....you can't make any money" and "I woudn't want someone to be leading me to only have had 6 months experience." But all the instructors I talked to face to face couldn't understand why I WOULDN'T do it.

With that being said personally I think it's a great idea. What's the difference if you log 200 dives in 6 months or 6 years? I would like to dive with someone that was constantly diving than with someone who dove 3 or 4 times a year. I want someone who knows the area that I'm diving and after 6 months and over 200 dives you should know the area decently well.

Burt, do a search of "mermaids" and "OWSI" and you'll get a few of more opions...it's been talked about before...

Also, right now, one guy is trying to 'sell' his internship....check here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=112636

if you're going to do it, he may give you a better deal. Also, I'm with 'b2gdbill'...I think it sounds like a good experience because of the 200 dives it gives you. I'm hoping to do it in at some later time. People say the diving isn't as good in Pattaya as other places in Thailand...but the other places don't offer packages that come with 200 guaranteed dives either...and if you're new then it's good to be able to do those dives.

If you do it, please write me back and let me know what you think of the program...I'm hoping to do this with 2-3 other people also...but not for some time. We all want the experience and the education.

Oh, and as I said in the other thread...I went diving with Mermaid's two years ago when I was in Pattaya for a few days. I had a great experience with them but I'm new enough that every dive experience is great. Actually, the DM I spent time with was really a super nice guy and made me feel really relaxed even though it was my first open sea dive (I got certified diving in rock quarries in Iowa).

I didn't know they were a school then...so I didn't look into that part of their operation.

riverserf:
Burt, do a search of "mermaids" and "OWSI" and you'll get a few of more opions...it's been talked about before...

Also, right now, one guy is trying to 'sell' his internship....check here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=112636

if you're going to do it, he may give you a better deal. Also, I'm with 'b2gdbill'...I think it sounds like a good experience because of the 200 dives it gives you. I'm hoping to do it in at some later time. People say the diving isn't as good in Pattaya as other places in Thailand...but the other places don't offer packages that come with 200 guaranteed dives either...and if you're new then it's good to be able to do those dives.

If you do it, please write me back and let me know what you think of the program...I'm hoping to do this with 2-3 other people also...but not for some time. We all want the experience and the education.

Hey,
I think the internship that the guy is trying to sell is actually an Aquanauts package who are also based in Pattaya.

I'm doing the mermaids internship in January but I have been diving for just over a year and have my Rescue cert already so it is only the three month internship.

The upside of diving in Pattaya is that there is no off season as they are sheltered from the worst of the monsoons. Some places in Thailand it is apparently not possible to dive at certain times of the year.

There are some interesting points and considerations raised in the thread i posted a few day's ago "Instructor internship..to do or not to do"

But if any of you are interested i'll let you know how it goes in Jan!!

Jeni

charlie78:
Hey,
I think the internship that the guy is trying to sell is actually an Aquanauts package who are also based in Pattaya.

I'm doing the mermaids internship in January but I have been diving for just over a year and have my Rescue cert already so it is only the three month internship.

The upside of diving in Pattaya is that there is no off season as they are sheltered from the worst of the monsoons. Some places in Thailand it is apparently not possible to dive at certain times of the year.

There are some interesting points and considerations raised in the thread i posted a few day's ago "Instructor internship..to do or not to do"

But if any of you are interested i'll let you know how it goes in Jan!!

Jeni

Charlie/Jeni....you are right..I didn't check but it is an aquanauts internship...I didn't realize they offered the same package as Mermaid's. Having not looked it over as much, is anyone aware of any differences? PLEASE, if any of you do this let me know how it goes...I'm really hoping (planning) on going there myself...but later. I may cruise thru there this fall or winter (nov. or jan) with a buddy that's thinking of doing it sometime later too...like 2006-7!

riverserf:
Charlie/Jeni....you are right..I didn't check but it is an aquanauts internship...I didn't realize they offered the same package as Mermaid's. Having not looked it over as much, is anyone aware of any differences? PLEASE, if any of you do this let me know how it goes...I'm really hoping (planning) on going there myself...but later. I may cruise thru there this fall or winter (nov. or jan) with a buddy that's thinking of doing it sometime later too...like 2006-7!

The packages are identical. I just prefered the look and feel of mermaids. Both the course director and the MSDT have been fantastic in answering all my questions!!

If you come thru in late Jan drop me a message and i''ll let you know how it is going so far!!

Jeni

Doing your internship with this people is a BIG BIG mistake.
You end paying more money than you could do it by simple going to Thailand and talk to Dive Center managers and ask them to give you an offer.

In thailand second hand equipment is usually cheap and Mermaids have a huge reputation of been full of rich kids that got the money as a gap year idea... and not to become a serious diver.

Good luck anyway...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom