Three Regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vel525

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I was just wondering is having three second stages overkill? Wait, do I even have enough LP ports to do that? I dive with a SP AirII and have been reading about the DIR octo setup (around the neck). Kinda deciding whether to change to the DIR octo setup or not. Then I thought why not just have three...hehe. I can't imagine it would be too bulky.

Two is backup; three's just adding an unnecessary failure point. (actually a whole set of unnecessary failure points)
Rick

While I cannot really disagree with Rick's point, I have a similar set-up (Sherwood's Shadow octo mounted on the BC's inflator hose) and also use a pony bottle. So I do often carry three second stages. To be honest, when the Shadow goes south I have no plans to ever get another one.

The justification for an Air 2 type of compbo inflator/second stage is to reduce the number of hoses you have to mess with. This may be due to a limited number of ports or due to a preference for the integrated inlfator/octo and not wanting to carry another octo, or due to a preference from being trained that way.

Another possible justification is where you solo dive frequently and may have a pony bottle along most of the time but want another second stage for 1) times when you are diving with a buddy or 2) times when you are solo but want another second stage to access the gas in the main tank.

An Air 2 is not compatible with a DIR/Hog approach so if you go with a long hose and a bungeed backup, skip the air 2 entirely. An Air 2 generally requires a much longer corrogated inflator hose than is considered prudent by most hog or DIR divers who tend to gravitate toward very short corrogated inflator hoses for streamlining purposes.

Personally, I really do not care what people dive with on my boat as long as they can explain their reasons for their configuration choices to me in a well thought out, logical and coherent fashion. But if it is just a case of being a "wear it all" diver, we may have some discussion before they go diving.

Thanks for the input. I'll go with one or the other, but I'll stay away from too much.

Like Tod, I dive with a primary tank that has a second stage and octo but also an Air-2 (mainly because it came with one and I've been too lazy to remove the darned thing). My pony also has a second stage, so I have four of them on my kit. Overkill? Yes, most likely... but the only one I'd remove is the Air-2 (it has hit me on the head and nose several times drawing blood... usually when my new dive buddy tries to help me gear up).

One for you and one for your buddy and vice a versa. If your primary goes TU then switch to your backup and end the dive. If both stop working then use your buddies and end the dive.

If you solo dive then bring a bailout slung tank with a third reg. Anything goes wrong - end the dive.

Bring only the tools that you need for the job and don't overcomplicate it.

If you've got the Hog rig on a double setup and a deco bottle, I count three: One on either post (Primary and backup on appropriate posts) and one on your deco bottle. So three regs are not excessive.

Cave divers may have any number of second stages depending on the dive. Primary and secondary on doubles, a primary and secondary on each stage/deco bottle.

Also remember that even on a standard recreational BC or BP/W with a single tank, you have 3 secondary air sources. The one in your mouth, your backup, and the wing/bladder exhaust. I wonder how many practice using that, but you'd basically have to breathe it like a freeflowing reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom