New double wings from Halcyon and Tobin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score

Have you ever heard that the new double wings are coming out this Fall from Halcyon and DeepSeaSupply?

Check out this

http://www.halcyon.net/mc/Halcyon_EvolveMC.pdf

Does it mean that Explorer will be discontinued?

DeepSeaSupply is going to debut our "Torus" doubles wing at Dema, MSRP #330.

FINALLY! I've been after dive manufacturers to create a circular doubles wing for years! I haven't seen Tobin's yet, but I'm sure it's great - I'm only referring to the Halcyon propoganda. But FINALLY!

Boogie711:
FINALLY! I've been after dive manufacturers to create a circular doubles wing for years! I haven't seen Tobin's yet, but I'm sure it's great - I'm only referring to the Halcyon propoganda. But FINALLY!
I think its going the wrong direction, but depending on its design, it could work.

I won't be trading in my wing any time soon.

Boogie711:
JJ was diving one this week while teaching the Tech 2 class. I got a good look at it, and it looks like a very nice wing.

He sure made good use of it ... then again, he'd probably look good diving a wing made out of a couple of milk jugs and a trash bag ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
JJ was diving one this week while teaching the Tech 2 class. I got a good look at it, and it looks like a very nice wing.

He sure made good use of it ... then again, he'd probably look good diving a wing made out of a couple of milk jugs and a trash bag ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Shhhh - Bob you'll give away my newest idea...

I don't see the point, actually.

I guess it doesn't matter as long as they will continue to offer the explorer, though.

It still looks like a marketing move to me.

Jeff,

Just wondering why you see the wing style as "going into the wrong direction"? I have no idea if its a better design or not. I guess it can help the head down position for some divers.

NWGratefulDiver:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Scuba groupies, who would have thought.

ericfine50:
Jeff,

Just wondering why you see the wing style as "going into the wrong direction"? I have no idea if its a better design or not. I guess it can help the head down position for some divers.
There are times you will want to trap air on one side or the other. Be it a hole or carrying stages. If you connect both sides this may effect how a wing will behave.

Now, Tobin did say on the Decostop that on his wing he solves that problem by making the channel small in comparison to the depth of the wing side.

So the end result, you make a wing that is a bit easier to dive but that could potential allow gas to travel when you don't want it.

Since I don't have a problem diving a horseshoe type wing, I won't be running to the store to solve a non-existent problem.

Back
Top Bottom