How many of you who don't use a computer don't use a computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Do most of you who don't use computers use Uwatec/OMS bottom timers or Suunto Vipers in gauge mode and why? Or do you keep it in computer mode and just not look at it:)

From reading the threads I seem to see those 3 possibilites coming up and I'm curious as to which is the most common.

during my first two years after OW certification, i did not use computers. just did it by time. after ofcourse doing the dive plan before getting in the water

gcbryan:
Do most of you who don't use computers use Uwatec/OMS bottom timers or Suunto Vipers in gauge mode and why? Or do you keep it in computer mode and just not look at it:)

From reading the threads I seem to see those 3 possibilites coming up and I'm curious as to which is the most common.

On square profile dives and decompression dives, I use a PC-based program (V-Planner or Decoplanner) for dive planning and a bottom timer or computer in gauge mode (Uwatec/Scubpro Aladin Tec) for timing and to download information on the dive for later analysis. For tooling around on reefs and such within recreational limits, I leave it in computer mode. Obviously I don't mix the two in the same set of dives.

I just use an OMS bottom timer. I like to have a watch with a chronograph feature for timing stops but lately I've had trouble finding one that I can actually get to work reliably underwater.

Being able to download profiles would be nice but I'm not willing to spend much money to get it.

I'm a relatively new diver with just under 50 dives.

I use a Suunto D3 bottom timer (since it also has a free diving mode that I use and a dive recording mode that is very useful).

Also, I carry a PADI wheel in my pocket for pre-dive planning and for reference during dives.

I dive with a simple computer, a UWATEC pro ultra, and use it for max depth/bottom time/ and as my depth guage. I plan my dives, and often dont like seeing the "nodeco limit" display on my computer.

So far it's a Timex Helix (in dive track node) and tables. The sites and abilities of most of my buddies keep us safely away from NDLs. It's handy for timing safety stops but they are usually gernerous just by virtue of swimming back towards shore.

I have taken a closer look at the tables prior to some repetetive dives when dive one was significant in depth.

At this point in our diving I see it as one more big$ item to break or loose. The average depth (for sac calcs) , profile graphics, ascent warnings etc. would be nice to have but should not be essential. Moreso since I'll be buying for 2 divers.

We'll probably spring for them next season well in advance of our first warm water dive trip. We intend to do some fairly intensive repetetive diving then and it will then be important especially if EAN gets into the mix for some or all dives.

I'm not sure if this speaks to your timer/computer question but that's what we're doing.

Pete

gcbryan:

I only use an OMS bottom timer and a seperate pressure guage. Works well for me.
No need for the fancy computer. I also have a backup timer which is a Casio G-Shock watch.

It's all ya need!

MikeFerrara:
I just use an OMS bottom timer. I like to have a watch with a chronograph feature for timing stops but lately I've had trouble finding one that I can actually get to work reliably underwater.

Being able to download profiles would be nice but I'm not willing to spend much money to get it.
But, I am thinking about getting one of those dive recorders. I don't remember the name of 'em but they are a little black box that when used records the dive profile. Then one can download it to a PC later. I think they' re about a hundred twenty bucks. It's not high on the "must have" list, however. I'll get it after I get a drysuit!

Randy43068:
But, I am thinking about getting one of those dive recorders. I don't remember the name of 'em but they are a little black box that when used records the dive profile. Then one can download it to a PC later. I think they' re about a hundred twenty bucks. It's not high on the "must have" list, however. I'll get it after I get a drysuit!

Sensus Pro. I LOVE mine

Back
Top Bottom