West Palm Beach hotel info.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rotorboy

Reaction score
Could anyone recommend a nice hotel to stay in while in West Palm Beach? I'll be driving in Friday night for my first OW dive off of the Starfish Enterprise. I'll be diving with my OW instructor, but I'll be bringing my wife and daughter along for a short weekend vacation. Looking for a nice hotel or resort near the Starfish, which is located on Ocean Ave. I'd like to stay at a place where my family could enjoy themselves while I'm out diving. Also, could you recommend a nice romantic place to have dinner with a view of the water! So far, I'm considering staying at the Palm Beach Ocean Inn. Has anyone ever stayed here? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Depends entirely on how much you want to spend and how much you feel you need to be on the water (which is going to be expensive!). If you just want something cheap, I'd recommend statying at at the Super 8 Motel on I-95 and Blue Heron Blvd. They run divers rates for $69/night during the week and $89 on weekends. For a little bit more you can stay at the Hampton Inn on RCA Blvd (off I-95 and PGA Blvd) which is MUCH nicer and has a great free continental breakfast and free internet if you bring your laptop.

If you want to stay on the beach there are lots of options. I've not stayed at the Palm Beach Ocean Inn but I hear it's nice. I have stayed at the Breakers, the Four Seasons, and the Hilton next to the Four Seasons. All are very nice with lots of things for the family, but are expensive.

As for romantic dining, can't help you there as I usually go with the wife and kids. We just hit one of the nice restaurants in City Place off Okeechobee Blvd. or Sail Fish Marina off Blue Heron Blvd.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Just as a small geography lesson, Starfish is located out of Lantana/Lake Worth area, just before the Lantana bridge, if I recall correctly.

The Palm Beach Ocean Inn is a piece of Florida Nostalgia...I've done drinks there, but not stayed. It's an old 50's/60's era hotel, and it's got it's own fan base, though I thought I'd read that it was finally sold for condos. I'd guess for right on the water in that immediate area, it's going to be the cheapest you can find.
Right near the Lake Worth bridge area is(was?) also a Howard Johnson's (though it may be long gone), and on the ocean side, a Hilton. For waterfront, most of that area is purely residential, if you're insistent on being on the water.
The Gulfstream Hotel is a boutique hotel in Lake Worth, right on the intracoastal, recently taken over by a Marriott/similar-named franchise that may be in the affordable range.

Hmm, romantic on the water. For on the water (ocean) you may have to head up to Palm Beach-proper, @ 15 minutes. Charley's Crab is very nice, though not cheap.
For romantic-eclectic, (not on the water or even a romatic location), Bizarre Avenue Cafe is a unique experience...think tapas and wine, couches and cocktail tables instead of standard table and chairs. It's considered THE first date restaurant.... :)
For Florida-kvetch factor, the Key Lime House is great for drinks....I believe the Starfish is docked right behind it.

For a VERY yummy breakfast, there is a well known place on the Lake Worth Pier (of course, the name escapes me right now), and a place on US1 (the "mainland" side) called "The Friendly Greek" that is very cheap, too.

Feel free to PM me and I'll try to rack my brain for more specifics (I used to work at the Four Seasons just down the road and knew all the places to send guests....it's just been a while).

West Palm Beach is not very close to Starfish - they're down in Lantana. You'll be ok at the PB Ocean Inn if you want to be close to the boat. It's an ok area there.

KBeck:
Just as a small geography lesson, Starfish is located out of Lantana/Lake Worth area.

The Palm Beach Ocean Inn is a piece of Florida Nostalgia...I've done drinks there, but not stayed. It's an old 50's/60's era hotel, and it's got it's own fan base, though I thought I'd read that it was finally sold for condos. I'd guess for right on the water in that immediate area, it's going to be the cheapest you can find.
Palm Beach Oceanfront Inn is nice and convenient to Starfish. Starfish is only about 5 minutes away, on Ocean Ave (Lantana's Ocean Ave -- every city seems to have an Ocean Ave in SE FL), right next to the Intercoastal Waterway. Great oceanview restaurant. 2 story outside balcony layout. Not fancy, but reasonable rooms. My only minor complaint was the noisy in-room A/C -- that old motel style combo AC/heating. It was still a hotel as of last month when I dropped by for a meal. Enjoyed my stay the previous August. BTW, it's been around so long that it's street number is out of sequence with the surrounding buildings, just keep driving another 1/8 mile and you'll find it.

IIRC, it's about 30 minutes from WPB airport if you just wander down the A1A alongside the ocean.

KBeck:
For a VERY yummy breakfast, there is a well known place on the Lake Worth Pier (of course, the name escapes me right now), ...
John G's. Awesome place.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom