amazing squid dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

partridge

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Last week I had one of the most amazing and longest dives I have ever done. Max depth was 74 feet. Dive time was 95 minutes.

I started the dive gooing with the current since I had a boat topside following me. I stopped at the first turn in the wall to say Hi to my friend Nemo. He is the one who has grown quite attached to me. He is so happy to see me and I put out my palm about a foot away from the anemone and he swims right out. I tickle his belly and play with him for about a minute. I wave goodbye and start swimming again. At the second turn I look up and see what I thought to be rays in open water. Wait they arent moving. Those cant be rays. They cant be squid as I have never seen them this size. I swim up to 27 feet and stare in wonder. There are about 30 squid in pairs. One big and one small just swimming around this huge fern type thing.

I guess the small one is the female as she swims into the fern and lays some eggs. The male stays around and drives others away. Then another couple comes in and does the same thing. I move up to 20 feet. They are right around 18 feet.

I spend the rest of the dive right there just watching them. The couples take turns coming in and the female darts in and lays her eggs and the couple swims off again. All 30 of them staying within 30 feet of the nest. They also drive away the damsel fish that are very interested in the eggs.

My buddy took some pictures. In the second one you can see the eggs in the plants. They are elongated white jelly like things.

Great, long, shallow dive.

Way cool! How big were they?

Joe

awesome experience... very lucky

How big? The biggest ones were about 3.5 feet long. Most males(Im assuming they were males) were around 2.5 feet.

Yes it was a pretty amazing dive. I also forgot to add that as of the last time I was there, they had been there for 5 days. Had a group in from the US and they were amazed that I could take them to the exact place. And told them exactly what they would see. I hope they dont think they can see this year round. haha

nice....

check out this quick fix i did with Photoshop of the second picture. how close
to reality are the colors?

H2Andy:
nice....

check out this quick fix i did with Photoshop of the second picture. how close
to reality are the colors?

Thats cool. The fern thing was a more reddish though.

Do you use an automatic function? Or manual? Im starting a website and would like to "fix" all pictures a little bit, since I am just a PhD photographer.

note: PhD = push here dummy

edit: I work in printing and I just asked a computer guy to show me. The easiest was with color balance. Is that what you did?

hehehe... yeah, i'm a newbie too

i just use the QuickFIx feature on Photoshop; it does the work itself

not bad for a few mouse clicks

btw, the "fern things" are soft corals, most likely gorgonians

(i am not good with invertebrates)

That's amazing - how lucky to be able to witness that!!

Great photos too by the way

nice pics paul, i am yet to see any squids, hoping to have your luck sometime:) btw does it say 402 am in your time ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom