Halcyon Inflator Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I have had my 27# pioneer wing for about a month and noticed a hissing/bubbling noise coming from the corrugated hose yesterday. It was barely audible, but my dive buddy heard it too so we unscrewed the corrugated hose from the wing and you could definitely hear it then (putting ear to open end of corrugated hose). IMHO, it sounds like there is a leak or something in the power inflator that is allowing just a wisp of air to come through the inflator hose into the corrugated hose and then into the wing.

The leak is small, i.e. I dove with it twice after that and it wasn't like it was inflating the wing at a noticeable level. Anyway, I called EE and have to send it back in, etc. but have so many dives scheduled that I can't send it back in until after my DIRF class in NC next month (guess it wouldn't hurt to let JJ hear it...:D). They want me to send it back and then they will send it on to the Halcyon repair guy...sounds like a long process. They won't "rent" me a wing or anything to use in the meantime..

Anyway, has anyone taken apart/messed with the inflator? I have taken pretty much everything else apart but the guy at EE said it may be sand or something in the inflator...any recommendations on cleaning it out? I do not think it is a manufacturing defect because I would have noticed it before yesterday...

Thanks

I've never tried this with a Halcyon inflator but we used to periodically service our inflators by taking a small amount of silicon grease (o-ring grease, the kind made for dive gear) and packing it into the inflator port (the hole(s) in the little metal tit that the inflator hose connects to) then attaching a tank and hit the inflator a couple times, blasting the grease into the mechanism. I've seen this help. I would ask EE first though for warranty reasons.

Tom

ps- I'm assuming you have rinsed and run fresh water through the mechanism several times already? Maybe try warm water. A salt deposit or just a piece of dirt could cause this.

... and replaced the innards... the little plastic button had broken so Halcyon sent be the repair pieces and I fixed it up for him.

It is possible to take the inflator off of the hose (zip ties under rubber tubing) and unscrew the nut holding the inflator mechanism inplace. Cleaning things up this way is a little more fiddling than what Tom suggest though so I would try his way first.

BTW... it isn't a bad idea to have an extra inflator mechanism in the ole save~a~dive bag. Why not order on asap from Halcyon and send yours in for repair after the new one arrives... when they repair and send your old one back you will have a spare!

I called EE and ordered an inflator....I will just replace it and then send the faulty one back like you suggested.

Thanks for the help, you saved my dives and/or saved me from diving with a messed up wing...

Guys,
How much does a spare inflator mech cost?

Also, do you guys carry spare masks while diving?

A spare inflator mech is $45 from EE...I just ordered one today. I do not carry a spare mask, but then again I am not going into overhead environments and my like-minded buddy is never too far away to assist.

OK,
Thanks...

Herman, that hurts... Can I borrow your Ranger, sell it on Ebay, and then buy a bag of inflators?

Why haven't you signed up for the DIRF at Down Under yet?

:D

Sorry Eric, could not help the jab, it was just too good to pass up. I would have signed up for the class but I had already committed (read that money involved) to the Wreckmania trip, besides Natasha is better looking than you or Aaron.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom