serious snorkling questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcass

Reaction score
Any help here would be greatly appreciated as I know little about this subject. I did a little snorkeling a few years ago in the Bahamas and am going to be in Akumel over Christmas this year and hope to spend a lot of time on the water. My questions are as follows:
1. I have a "farmers" tan and am worried about floating on the water's surface for a number of hours and getting burned on my back - should I get a lightweight suit of some kind or just use lots of sunblock? What suit?
2. My head is void of any hair and I do NOT want another sunburn up there! Any suggestions to head cover or just the sunscreen again?
3. Is there a good place on the net to pick up a snorkeling outfit and what would you suggest for someone who only snorkels once a year? (Rental is a problem at CHristmas so I will buy my own.) Or, do the fins fit so tightly that I should find a local dive shop and try several on to find the best fit?
4. I am not in the shape I used to be and would like to "rest" some on the water. I saw a raft device for snorkelers on a web site - http://www.snorkelcity.com/seawica.html - Has anyone used these or know if they are worth the trouble.

THanks so much for all the advice.
jcass

1) How about a UV rashgaurd for skin protection? We can find them at the wallmart's in florida but you might need to check the diveshops where your going if they've put out the fall stock wherever you live.

2) Get some waterproof sunblock, zinc would look cool it comes in a variety of colors it would be neat to have a purple melon don't you think?

3)lots of places to get scuba stuff on the net, I would start at the lds, get a feel for what size of fins you wear, and just as importantly mask fit. You don't want a mask that is wrong for you're face or you'll have water around your nose all day. Then check the pricing on the internet, if it's significantly less that your local dive shop (lds) go back to them and ask if they can cut you a break (remember off the internet you'll be paying shipping so take that into account). Do your best to support them, when you decide you want to scuba, it would be nice if their still in business. Last hint on the fins, get full foot ones for warm water diving and wear a pair of athletic socks to prevent chafing.

4) The snorkling i've done has involved a lot of floating, I wouldn't be dishing out for a raft, if you're really concered, get your snorkel gear and head to the local pool a couple times a week, you'll enjoy the experience more if your in shape for it.

I usually wear a lycra skin when snorkeling, something like these-
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TilosLycraSkinSuit
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Item..._SKU/DescSort_0/Filter_2=227&4=235/BLRLM.html

I prefer it to dousing myself in suntan lotion, and most of the "waterproof" stuff seems to wear off anyway when in the water for a long time. As far as your head, you can try some kind of sunscreen and reapply if needed. Or you can get lycra or thin neoprene caps and hoods. Some people use bandana type things. Just need to find something that covers enough. I have a lycra hood which is cheap and comfortable and would work well for snorkeling as it would cover the back of your neck and everything.

It's really best to try a mask on to get the proper fit. You might luck out, but it's hard to do that mail order or when buying bubble packaged gear at a chain store. Fins you have a better chance of getting something ok and you can take up extra space with some kind of socks, but again if you can try them all the better. Full foot snorkel fins are cheaper than scuba fins (either full foot or open heel) and it keeps things simple, though if you later decided to take up scuba they probably wouldn't be suitable. Note that many divers wear open heel fins and booties even in warm water, one of the reasons is so they have something protecting their feet until they get to the water. This may or may not be a concern for you, and when snorkeling it's easy enough to wear sandals and leave them where you get in the water.

Snorkeling is mostly floating - if you don't float well and want something to help, you might consider a snorkel vest. That raft thing might be fun, but it doesn't seem much like snorkeling.

1/2. Absolutely wear something. I got a bad enough burn in 90 minutes snorkeling in trunks here in Maine in July last year. Longer time and closer to the equator surely demands a rash gurad, lycra sking, dee-rag, thin beanie whatever it takes. I'm convinced this is not the same summer sun I grew up under, it's stonger and burns quicker.

3 Absolutely positively hit some local dive shops and get gear that fits. The mask especially is a personally chosen to fit item. Don't chance your trip to web roulette. Read up in the gear forums and consider buying stuff that's at least entry level scuba quality. It will serve you well and may be a stepping stone should you decide to become a certified diver.

4 Odd are that especially in salt water you will float face down with your snorkel effortlesly, don't fall asleep. If you want to be able to rest in a vertical position there are snorkel vests that you can add a few breaths of air to for extra buoyancy. That raft looks cmbersome and will rob you of the freedom of skindiving.

If you want to get the most out of this vacation I suggest gettting your gear ahead of time and asking the your local dive shop for a skin diving session. That way you can confirm the fit and function and they can swap stuff as needed. You maybe even get to try several styles before you buy anything. With a little coaching you'll be able to dive down a ways to see things close and add a third dimension to your journeys.

Whether you have scuba diving aspirations or not skindiving is an excellent sport in it's own right. Meanwhile your laying a magnificent foundation for diving. You will be getting accustomed to having your face imersed, sustained oral only breathing, finning tecnhnique and handling gear and being comfortable on the water in general.

Have a ball!

Pete

I've tried the raft thing with mixed results. The wind and waves will move you're float around a lot. If you decide you want a small raft to rest and warm up consider an anchor. Renting a sit on top kayak may be a better option. Again, an anchor is helpful. You'll appreciate the manoverablity of the kayak mor than the inflatable raft. Most resorts have these around for rent.

Find a mask that fits. I like the Cressi Matrix but you'll have to find a mask that fits your face. Fit is #1, you'll be miserable if you have a leaky mask.

Don't get too fancy with the snorkel. Basic is better.

For fins buy these: http://www.mares.com/catalogo/scheda.asp?idpagina=35 The Mares Avanti full foot fins are awesome! Get the size that fits you, you won't be sorry!

As for sunburn, wear lycra or a light wetsuit. Keeps the sun and jelly stings at bay.

Don't rent your gear. Buy stuff that fits, you'll get lots of use out of it. Nothing's worse than fighting with a crappy mask that leaks and blisters on the feet from ill fitting fins.

About floatation. What works best for me anyway. With no wetsuit, I can float face down all day long. There's really no effort to that at all. And when I dive down to about twenty or so feet, enough to squeeze my lungs down, I'm almost neutral (still have to puff a little air out). But with a 1/4" wetsuit (I'm an old fart), I have to put on a weight belt with six pounds to get the same effect. That's in fresh water. I'd have to add a couple lbs in salt water. But if you wear a wetsuit with no weight belt at all, you'll float like a cork. So in your case, for just cruising around on the surface, a wetsuit will provide both, floatation, and protection from the sun. But if you want to dive down, a wetsuit will make you work, using up your air faster, so you won't be able to stay down very long.

- Sun protection - I have put in many tropic hours with a T-shirt as top, plus SPF30 on the bald spot, nothing for legs, without ever burning at all [woth Irish fair skin].
- Gear - I am happiest with my own fins and mask and tube. Packs well enough when going south in winter, because other stuff don't take much space. And I have the equipo for any stop along the road.
- Flotation - in sunny salt water no problem for this portly person.

clothing suggestion: a t-shirt, light cotton type.
Pants: the type that don't go all the way down to the ankle (they might be called "fisherman's pants" in some places). There are some that have a sort of draw-string around the cuffs; these will keep the little critters from getting in your knickers.
I made the move to longer pants from regular swimsuit after getting sunburned on the back of the legs.
In addition to this, sunblock on the exposed parts of the arms, back of the neck, and ears. One case of crispy ear is enough of a lesson!

You can get diving skins for a very reasonable price. That will take care of sunburn on most of your body. Bull Frog makes a good water proof sun block I use for surfing. Any "waterproof" sun block will have to be reapplied occasionally. Last question...I would strongly suggest getting in shape. The water is a dangerous place to become a tired diver. I think it is even more dangerous snorkeling. No BCD to provide positive buoyancy at the surface....

rawls:
Bull Frog makes a good water proof sun block I use for surfing. Any "waterproof" sun block will have to be reapplied occasionally.

I second the Bull Frog!!!! I put nothing else on my body here in Hawaii. Just make sure you reapply it at least every hour to hour and a half.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom