55lb bladders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
i see that alot of techies are using 55lb bladders. hows that working? to me it seems a bit small. i dive in cold waters with a dry suit. lets here from all of ya.

A 45 lb wing barely floats my SS BP, cannister light and double 104s in fresh water. Since I'm [unfortunately] a bit buoyant, that makes the 45 lb wing perfect. A 55 lb wing, having 10 lbs more lift should be just fine for up to three AL80 stages, for example.

Roak

Originally posted by roakey
A 45 lb wing barely floats my SS BP, cannister light and double 104s in fresh water. Since I'm [unfortunately] a bit buoyant, that makes the 45 lb wing perfect. A 55 lb wing, having 10 lbs more lift should be just fine for up to three AL80 stages, for example.

Roak

Hey Roak,

You ever think of going with the AL BP with those 104's? You certainly don't need any extra weight with them do ya?

As far as the wing goes... I've got 104's and with all tanks full, AL Backplate, 2 AL80 stages, TLS 350 drysuit (with minimal gas), Cannister light etc... the 55lb wing *barely* kept me off the floor... I now have a 65lb wing for BIG dives. The 55lb is perfect in 90% of the dives though.

I've also heard the older Halcyon 55# (which is the one I've got) is really about 40# which seems about right to me.

DSAO!!

You are right, the older Halcyon wings were rated a little bit higher thatn the actual lift. I have one of their 65 lb. wings and it was really 50 - 55 lbs. Perfect for the LP95s, Canister Light, and AL 40 Stages.

Eric

Steve,

The 65s were their orginal large wings. The 70s are now 70 (i am told :)) I am not sure why the listed lift was off on the orginal sets of wings, maybe bad math?

Eric

I have a 70# halcyon. I got the 70 because they were out of the 55 and I was in a hurry. My wife has my old 55. She dives double HP 100's dry suit and 2 al 80 stages and it floats her with room to spare. Needless to say the 70 is more than enough. I'm diving double 104's with a dry suit. I'll probably try a 55 when I have an extra one. Halcyon has been having trouble delivering.

Originally posted by MikeFerrara
Halcyon has been having trouble delivering.

Ain't that the truth! I drove 300 miles to get my 55lb wing. Then the store sold it out from under me thinking they could get another one no problem. Luckily they did. They said that they had a very arhd time getting another one from Halcyon.

Ain't that the truth! I drove 300 miles to get my 55lb wing. Then the store sold it out from under me thinking they could get another one no problem. Luckily they did. They said that they had a very arhd time getting another one from Halcyon.

It is all about supply and demand. Everyone wants one and they can't keep them on the shelfs. Sometimes being an excellent product can be a bad thing :)

Eric

Originally posted by ericfine50

It is all about supply and demand. Everyone wants one and they can't keep them on the shelfs. Sometimes being an excellent product can be a bad thing :)

Eric

*sigh* sucks don't it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom