Where to buy ikelite housing or cam gear in PI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CLA

Reaction score
Hello all

Would anyone know which dive shop in Manila carries ikelite camera gear? Also, is halcyon available in Manila? A friend of mine suggested changing my jacket bc to a bp/w and suggested that brand. He said it might fit better but I'm wondering if the backplate might be too heavy (I carry 6 lbs of weight). Have any of you tried diving with a bp/w type bc in our lovely tropical waters? I also hear it's pricey. Is it worth the extra expense? I guess this may not be the right forum for this question but I'd like the pinoy point of view.

Btw, have fun at the dive-o-rama. Happy diving!

CLA

CLA:
Hello all

Would anyone know which dive shop in Manila carries ikelite camera gear? Also, is halcyon available in Manila? A friend of mine suggested changing my jacket bc to a bp/w and suggested that brand. He said it might fit better but I'm wondering if the backplate might be too heavy (I carry 6 lbs of weight). Have any of you tried diving with a bp/w type bc in our lovely tropical waters? I also hear it's pricey. Is it worth the extra expense? I guess this may not be the right forum for this question but I'd like the pinoy point of view.

Btw, have fun at the dive-o-rama. Happy diving!

CLA

unfortunately you cannot get ikelites in manila, if you could id have one:) as to your halcyon question, i myself use a halcyon eclipse with ss backplate. i purchased here from a friend who is the local distributor. the backplate weighs 6 lbs so i dont use any weight belt just the backplate. its an awesome bc but you are correct...quite pricey.

Thanks spoon. Hope you could send me the halcyon distributor's contact number and address. Will try to check it out the next time I'm in Manila. Also, is it ok not to have any weights to ditch in case of an emergency?

CLA

CLA:
Thanks spoon. Hope you could send me the halcyon distributor's contact number and address. Will try to check it out the next time I'm in Manila. Also, is it ok not to have any weights to ditch in case of an emergency?

CLA

There is a cheaper alternative to halcyon. Get in touch with Diver's Point (027253631 look for Ellen)they have a backplate and wing system (30lb) and cost about 25% cheaper than the Halcyon Eclipse. Its not a popular brand (EXD) but it works just the same and looks exactly like the OMS single cylinder BC. I have both the Halcyon and this one and I see no difference in performance.

The stainless steel plate weighs at 6 lbs only if you are really concerned with ditchable weights you could go for the aluminum backplate which weighs only a little over 2 lbs and wear a weightbelt with it.

Halcyon distributor is Adventure Bound (www.adventurebound.com) get in touch with Alex Floro 09178113483. Though Martin L. (www.wedt.org) may also be able to sell you one.
- Jai

Axua:
Halcyon distributor is Adventure Bound (www.adventurebound.com) get in touch with Alex Floro 09178113483. Though Martin L. (www.wedt.org) may also be able to sell you one.
- Jai

yup i got it thru alex's bro nathan:) as to that exd brand is the harness system similar to halcyons? how about the wing is it smaller? im curious about this one. wondering if they can just sell me the plate and harness.

Spoon:
yup i got it thru alex's bro nathan:) as to that exd brand is the harness system similar to halcyons? how about the wing is it smaller? im curious about this one. wondering if they can just sell me the plate and harness.

The harness system is the same. Halcyon uses the standard hogarthian harness configuration except for the missing right waist D ring. The wing has the same lift capacity, but Halcyon uses the donut design while EXD uses the horseshoe design.

Yup you can get the plate and harness only. I think they are selling the plate for P5,000 and the Webbing on a per foot amount that I cannot recall.

Axua:
The harness system is the same. Halcyon uses the standard hogarthian harness configuration except for the missing right waist D ring. The wing has the same lift capacity, but Halcyon uses the donut design while EXD uses the horseshoe design.

Yup you can get the plate and harness only. I think they are selling the plate for P5,000 and the Webbing on a per foot amount that I cannot recall.

thanks they are actually selling it for 4000. anyway i have used the horeshoe design myself as the diverites and am not as comfortable with these as compared to the doughnuts. il certainly consider there aluminum bp

DIVE BUDDIES in JPRizal st. advertises that they're the local disti for ikelite... i ordered an ikelite u/w housing for the vx2100 for CSB and they were one of the bidders (nakialam lang yung avid so the bidding was delayed)... i'm waiting for it to arrive nga e...

try them

Jag

Read a lot of good reviews for the bp/w bcds and I'm looking forward to actually seeing one (preferably in "in action"). The system, however seems a bit complicated-and rather expensive for a casual diver like me (I don't plan to go tech in the near future). Do the dealers allow customers to "test run" the bcds before buying? Alternatively, would you know of any dive shops or resorts that rent out bp/w bcds?

Thanks for the all the useful info guys. This has been a very helpful forum.

CLA:
Read a lot of good reviews for the bp/w bcds and I'm looking forward to actually seeing one (preferably in "in action"). The system, however seems a bit complicated-and rather expensive for a casual diver like me (I don't plan to go tech in the near future). Do the dealers allow customers to "test run" the bcds before buying? Alternatively, would you know of any dive shops or resorts that rent out bp/w bcds?

Thanks for the all the useful info guys. This has been a very helpful forum.

On the contrary, its less complicated than the jacket BC. Its nothing more than a steel plate with a 2 inch webbing weaved into slots on the plate to act as shoulder and waist straps. The bladder is then just screwed into the plate, some with single tank adapters and some without. Just the "meat and the potatoes", no fancy dump valves, pockets, locks, signalling device etc..

Diver's Point rents out their EXD BP/W BC's for a minimal fee. I believe the price is almost the same as the high end lines of Mares, Scubapro and other brands (there are however now really low priced BC's like the IST Oceanus BC that retails for only P8,000 and works well underwater). I use jacket style BC's and BP/W all the time and honestly for me there is very little difference between the 2 unless you are the technical-equipment oriented diver who really focuses on how dive equipment feels while in the water . But that is just my opinion :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom