BP/Wing Users: What System Do You Dive Singles With?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

realdiver7

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
For those of you who dive with a backplate/wing setup for doubles, what do you use when you dive with a single tank, and why?

1. Backplate/Wing with Single Tank Adapter.

2. Backplate/Wing without Single Tank Adapter.

3. Backpack/Wing (OMS IQ, Dive Rite Transpac II, etc.).

4. Backpack/Wing with Backplate Insert.

5. Back Inflation BCD.

6. Jacket BCD.

7. Old Style Plastic Backplate/Harness ('70s vintage, etc.).

8. Other Systems (Describe).

What type of Backplate do you use, and why?

A. Aluminum

B. Stainless Steel

C. ABS Plastic

D. Aluminum/ABS Plastic Hybrid

Thanks!

Single tank with drysuit #1.BP/W (Dive Rite Rec wing) with STA. . Both stainless steel. Total weight approx 11lbs. I use the stainless for the weight. Depending on undergarments my ditchable weight ranges from 0 - 8lbs.

Vintage diving sharkskin suit with a single steel 72 #7. old school harness. No BC and 4lbs of cast lead on a belt. Because it is a blast.

Picked up a couple of vintage BCs for when I try double 72s or triple 40s.

Cleveland...please compare comfort of BP/W with STA vs. Back Inflate BCD for single tank.

Thanks.

Backplate/wing ... when I use the Oxycheq or Halcyon wing I use an STA. When I use the DSS wing I don't.

Preferred backplate is DSS stainless steel with plate weights ... because it trims out so nicely and means I only have to wear 14-16 lbs on my weight belt (depending on which drysuit I'm wearing).

... Bob (Gear :D Junkie)

When diving a single steel 72 and a drysuit, I dive with a steel backplate, single tank wing, and STA. I dive steel because it reduces the weight I need on my belt to about 6 lbs.

I used to dive wet (7mm farmer john and 7mm step-in jacket) with a TPII and AL80, and was having to wear about 32 lbs on the belt with that configuration.

I use a H Pioneer 27wing w/ "integrated" STA, SS BP.

It provides the lift I need for the tanks I use and the SS bp lets me not have to wear any weight.

realdiver7:
Cleveland...please compare comfort of BP/W with STA vs. Back Inflate BCD for single tank.
I found the bp/wing combo to feel more stable while diving, and no more or less comfortable when above water.

I went from a Pioneer 36 with no STA, to a Pioneer 36 + STA, to (now) a Pioneer 27 + STA.

SS Diverite transplate, with STA.

I can use as much weight as possible off my belt when I dive with full 7 mm WS and 7 mm tunic. This setup allows me to remove about 8#, I think.

Back
Top Bottom