My new Venice tooth hunting vehicle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdrannik

Contributor
Reaction score
Look out boneyard off of Venice, I'm heading your way.. :wink: I picked up this boat for an excellent price as it's been sitting for 11 years and the engine is siezed up. It's an '85 Chris-Craft 214VF Scorpion with a center mounted Mercruiser V8. (Engine is underneath the steering station with an extended driveshaft back to an Alpha outdrive on the rear)

The new engine is in progress (Freshwater-cooled Vortec 383) and the hull is being prepped to get completely re-done. (Strengthened stringers and transom, new gelcoat in/out, and all new hardware)

The four photos are a) After $17 in quarters at the car wash. b) Just after picking it up. c) from original sales brochure d) from an older sales brochure but shows the layout better.

Will let everybody know when it's finished (will be a while, the hull estimate alone is 125 hours)...

too sweet... very nice

All right!!! Welcome to the boating world!!! Looks like you'll be towing me next time. (just kidding) Enjoy your new baby!

Sweet! Looks like you found a gem in disguise

Ready to go when you are! Do some runs to find out what it would cost to have folks run out and dive with ya and we'll set up a dive kitty to pay for dives!! :)

verry nice , you are now a dive taxi, haha enjoy!!!

diver doh:
Any idea what fuel consumption is?

A VERY rough estimate:

At 3500rpm cruise roughly 7gph at about 36mph.

At top estimated speed of 65-68 about 35gph

I won't be taking many long cruises at full throttle at $98/hour. hehe..

It's going to depend a lot on what pitch I prop the boat for and how hard I want to stress the hull. The boat was originally 260hp but the new engine is estimated at 340-380 depending on a few choices such as roller rocker arms, cam, etc (hence the stringer and transom strengthening mentioned previously). The original engine pushed the boat to 51mph loaded quite heavily (per original Mercruiser factory tests).

The strengthened hull will be heavier but the overall boat weight should come in slightly less than original as I'm switching from cast iron heads and exhaust manifolds/risers to aluminum along with an aluminum driveshaft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom