Ancient Coral Found In Hollywood, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for sharing that, it was very interesting! It was stated in the article , "Ken Banks, a reef expert for Broward County's Environmental Protection Department, saw it 20 feet below the surface while diving on the first reef from shore." Are you aware of where this is at?....to bad there were not any photos

Very interesting, thanks for posting....just a question, how can they check the growth rings without killing the coral?

They extracted an eight-foot core sample, being careful to plug the gap and avoid harming the coral. Using a masonry saw, they sliced it into thin sections, X-rayed them and used the growth bands to establish the coral's age. Each pair of black-and-white bands represents one year.

26.gif
ah-hem...I guess I over looked that part...Thanks :D

justleesa:
26.gif
ah-hem...I guess I over looked that part...Thanks :D
Scientists do about the same with old trees - looking for similar patterns, etc. Certainly better than cutting the tree down and studying the stump. :11:

I am fascinated that the coral is thriving in shallow water so close to the pollution runoff, and grateful it hasn't met any of the Cozumel cruise ship captains.

Marvel that is interesting. Makes you wonder how many times you have swam right on by looking at it and never knew that, that specific piece of coral was any different than any other.

Life should come with better signage.

I'm holding my breath on what they find as far as actual pollution content in the growth rings (if possible?) I'm also curious as to studies of just which and how much pollutants might actually be incorporated Into the coral structure itself.

High levels of nitrates are not a smoking gun, as these may occur naturally.
See studies of Sahara sands from Africa and how they relate to red algae blooms off Florida's west coast.

http://www.floridamarine.org/features/view_article.asp?id=22896

What made them think that this coral head was any different and how do they know it is?

how can they check the growth rings without killing the coral?

Unless they drilled in a dead zone, they did kill a small portion of the colony.

kev7,

If you go back to the article just to the right there is a graphic depicting the x-ray ofthe coral and below that is a really bad pic. Just click on the pic itself and it will enlarge. As I said its not a great pic but at least it woud give you some idea of what it looks like if you were to go looking for it on a dive.

fldiver327

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom