Your Diving and Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mlody11

Contributor
Reaction score
I was just curious how weight ranges for all you scuba divers.

If I dive a 2.5mm wetsuit, I wear only 4 lbs of weight in my BC, while divng a aluminum tank in fresh water. If I switched to a steal tank, would that mean I could dive without weights? How much weight do you carry with what suit and what tank and where?

3 mil suit no wt, fresh, or sw.
7mil suit, 4,lbs. fresh, 6, lbs, sw.

with Halcyon ss BPW.

Mlody11:
I was just curious how weight ranges for all you scuba divers.

If I dive a 2.5mm wetsuit, I wear only 4 lbs of weight in my BC, while divng a aluminum tank in fresh water. If I switched to a steal tank, would that mean I could dive without weights? How much weight do you carry with what suit and what tank and where?

Probably...
It depends on what you choose for a tank. By aluminum I'll assume you mean an AL-80 switching from that to a Pressed Steel E7-80 will knock 7 pounds off of your weight requirement meaving you about 3 pounds overweight (fill you BC pockets with packing peanuts :) ) The E7-100 will leave you closer to perfect.

http://www.huronscuba.com/equipment/scubaCylinderSpecification.html Compare the buoyancy empty with valve numbers. look for a difference that makes your weight do away and there you have it. This opens the discussion do you want to dive with no ditchable weight?????

To your first question, in a 7/7 wetsuit configuration in salt water and an E7-80 I wear 26 pounds distributed beween BC trim 3+3, BC ditchable 3+3 and a belt 14. This makes no item too heavy, gives me flexibility in how much I would have to ditch should I ever need to and makes my trip come out nice. YMMV

Pete

dbg40:
3 mil suit no wt, fresh, or sw.
7mil suit, 4,lbs. fresh, 6, lbs, sw.

with Halcyon ss BPW.

Wow that's light, just a 7mm full suit, single layer?

Is the PB a standard 5-6 pounder?

What sort of STA, if any?

What cylinder?

Your approximate body style if I may ask?

Thanks,
Pete

spectrum:
Probably...
This opens the discussion do you want to dive with no ditchable weight?????

Not really... Its just that I noticed the more I dove, the less weights I needed and the more controllable the bouyancy became. I remember having the 7mm suit with 22 lbs of weight and being way overweighted... hard to control. I guess the goal is simply to have the weight correct. I remember in the pool the instructor had me carrying 12 lbs of weight (slightly insane) then my next instructor had me at 6lbs of weight. Since then I noticed that 4 lbs of weight is a tad bit too much but I dont have 1 pounds... That means I droped about 6 lbs of weight since I started (im sure the 12 was way overweight... 8 would have been sufficent for me...)

Im just curious what do experienced divers carry in their belts and how much reduction is possible from diving more frequently.

Mlody11:
Im just curious what do experienced divers carry in their belts and how much reduction is possible from diving more frequently.

I don't dive in cold water
03.gif

I do use a zero buoyancy fleese skin and my instructor started me out at 10 lbs in the pool and I stuck to the bottom like coral.

Since then, in SW, I have cut back to 6 lbs but I feel loosing 2 lbs could be done easily. My goal is no weight without a wetsuit and I am sure I can do that easily. I just have to loose 10 more lbs of buoyant body fat
03.gif

This would've been MUCH more interesting as a poll... too see the results numerically...

FWIW, I use 30lbs. 10 non-ditchable, 20 ditchable. I could probably drop 2 or 3 pounds (of lead, that is).

- ChillyWaters

spectrum:
Wow that's light, just a 7mm full suit, single layer?

Is the PB a standard 5-6 pounder?

What sort of STA, if any?

What cylinder?

Your approximate body style if I may ask?

Thanks,
Pete
single layer one piece
standard stainless backplate
standard STA, (non weighted)
steel 100 HP tank
5; 11" 200 lbs mostly muscular build. ,carrying about 7 extra lbs 8-(

ryanmacneil8448:
i dive coldwater with a 7mm wetsuit and i use 32 lbs
Unless I miss my guess, youre going to do WAAAAAAY better than that in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom