Florida Recommendations for JR-AOW Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InlandCape

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for recommendations on a dive shop/instructor for my 12 yr old son to complete his PADI JR-AOW and places to stay. He has logged about 10 dives since his OW and does very well. My wife and I completed our AOW in Key Largo this spring and he dove all the dives with us but the deep dive (Spiegel Grove). We had 4-6 footers there and dove the Benwood with about 2+ waves. He did great but when you weigh 70 pounds it has to be a lot of work. We did our other dives at Joules. I would like some place that he can dive and enjoy it as much as possible and gain more experience. Because he will be doing JR AOW he is limited to 60’ for his deep dive so he will probably have to have a private lesson??? Which is fine. I know some shops only charge about $50 extra others are almost double or more. I prefer the more affordable choice.
Do any shops train with beach dives and is that a good choice? I was thinking Ft. Lauderdale area for a easy trip, stay close or on the beach, and be able to dive with him etc. Thanks

InlandCape:
Do any shops train with beach dives and is that a good choice? I was thinking Ft. Lauderdale area for a easy trip, stay close or on the beach, and be able to dive with him etc. Thanks

He can get all but one of his dives in as a beach dive. He has to do a deep dive past 60', but not greater than 70'. The rest of the dives can be done from the beach. I prefer to do the navigation dive in a lake, but it's doable from the beach. The problem with doing the navigation dive from the beach is due to the fact that there are several additional variables to deal with. i.e. current... surge... waves... etc.

The final three dives can be whatever he wants... photo, fish id, DPV, night, etc...

Al

InlandCape:
Scuba_Dad, Do you think Lauderdale is a good choice? I have never dove there?

Lauderdale is a wonderful choice. Send a PM to LHPDIVER. Both he and his wife are PADI instructors in the Lauderdale area.

Al

ScubaDad

I can work with him...Finishing off a an OW class this weekend...then focusing AOW thru the cooler months

Joe ( cudachaser) 321-537-9751

ScubaOdyssey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom