Dive Flag in Salt Water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

costi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just a quick question on dive flag usage.
I was certified as a diver in May and have logged twenty dives as of this writing.
I have been diving in the Northeast waters both fresh and salt......mostly fresh.
I have been fortunate to team up with a group that have the same interests and we have been diving fairly regularly (the majority of them a little more than myself). i am enjoying our group very much and on the most part I am comfortable diving with them.
My question is as follows: While in fresh water, we always sport a or a couple of dive flags. I have mentioned using a flag in the ocean and I get looked at like I have two heads. Is it common not to use a flag in the ocean in Maine? I know it is not a law to use, and they are certainly cumbersome. Could it be the surf that is the problem?
I have also noticed other ocean divers and can't recall ever seeing a flag unless the area specifically requests the use of one.
I would think that from a safety standpoint, we should at least anchor one in the close proximity to where we are diving to at least catch the attention of passing watercraft. This would at least solve the cumbersome issue.
Any input would be appreciated........bob

are the salt water dives conducted from a boat? if so, the dive flag is flown by
the boat

however, since you say that the surf is the problem, i am thinking you're talking
shore diving. make sure you check out your state's laws for dive flag requirements.

not sure how current this link is, but try here:

http://www.dive-flag.com/Maine.html

this sites says that Maine does not require a dive flag while ocean diving
unless you are harvesting marine species by hand, in which case you must
float the Alpha flag, not the diver's down flag

however, i found this law:

g. DIVERS' FLAGS or DIVERS' SIGNS: This Waterway marker shall, when displayed on the water, either from a float or watercraft, indicate the presence of diving activities in the immediate water area, and shall be displayed only when diving activities are actually in progress.

Watercraft operators shall remain at least one hundred (100) feet from any diver's flag or sign and exercise every precaution while in the area.

The diver's flag or sign shall be of a RED color with a WHITE diagonal stripe running from the upper left-hand corner to the lower right-hand corner (on a flag, from the mast head to the lower outside corner of the fly).

from the Bureau of Parks:

http://www.state.me.us/doc/parks/programs/boating/navaids.htm

due to the definitons of "waterway markers" and "waters of the state,"
my reading is that dive flags are not required in Maine, even in the ocean,
though this is an exceedingly poorly written statute.

it doesn't say you "shall display" the flag, it only says that you shall only
display it "when diving activities are actually in progress." in other words,
it seems optional to me. however, if displayed, other boaters have to
give you clearance by 100 feet.

Thanks for the input guys. I was quite sure that the law didn't specifically require the flying of a flag, i guess that I was curious from a divers etiquette point of view.......Do most divers fly a flag in salt water?
Oh yes Andy, you are correct, this is strictly shore diving. thanks, .......bob

here in Florida we have to, by law. i think we all feel a bit safer with the flag
in tow

however, there's still a lot of uneducated boaters out there, so, even a flag
doesn't mean you can drop your guard when ascending to the surface

I think you pretty much just hit the nail on the head with the statement that a lot of you feel a bit more comfortable with a flag in tow. It boils down to the fact that law or no law...if the comfort zone is not there without the flag..tow it.
Thanks...bob

I dive in Maine too and flying a flag is not required though it is encouraged by some lake asssociations. What I am I the process of getting is a sausage or marker bouy for instances when we need to surface and there is a concern of boat traffic.

Pete

In our area we mostly dive in the ocean, and always use a dive flag for safety because it makes good sense and is required. Regardless of the laws in your area, you don't want to surface and get run over by a boat, jet ski, surf board, wind surfer, etc. When diving from a boat, the dive flag is displayed somewhere on the boat. Snorkelers who spearfish in the open ocean here even drag a small float with a divers flag behind them, as well as fly a dive flag from the boat.

In addition, if your dive flag is anchored close to where you're diving when not using a boat, then you can use the rope to control your ascent, hang out on for your safety stop, and then as a surface support when you reach the surface.

The only time I didn't use a dive flag when shore diving was ONE TIME in Cozumel. The current took us away from the relative safety from boats in front of our hotel very quickly. When we tried to surface there were 2 boats circling directly overhead, so we descended to the bottom (only 20 ft.), swam against the current towards our hotel, and surfaced close to shore. All of that because we forgot to get the dive flag.

To make a long story short, using a dive flag is a good idea.

spectrum:
I dive in Maine too and flying a flag is not required though it is encouraged by some lake asssociations. What I am I the process of getting is a sausage or marker bouy for instances when we need to surface and there is a concern of boat traffic.

Pete
I like the idea pf a sausage or marker buoy. I have as of yet not researched them or seen one in actual use so I'm not sure what model to check into but I'm always open for suggestions. It would be nice to have one that would fit into the snorkel pocket of my Avid bc but I think that I saw a post one time that the type that would fit there was not of decent quality to last......thanks for your input

spectrum:
I dive in Maine too and flying a flag is not required though it is encouraged by some lake asssociations.
This would appear to indicate that a dive flag is required in some waters in Maine:

g. DIVERS’ FLAGS or DIVERS’ SIGNS: This Waterway marker shall, when displayed on the water, either from a float or watercraft, indicate the presence of diving activities in the immediate water area, and shall be displayed only when diving activities are actually in progress.

Watercraft operators shall remain at least one hundred (100) feet from any diver’s flag or sign and exercise every precaution while in the area.

The diver’s flag or sign shall be of a RED color with a WHITE diagonal stripe running from the upper left-hand corner to the lower right-hand corner (on a flag, from the mast head to the lower outside corner of the fly).

xxxxxxxxxxxx

That is from the rules of the Department of Conservation, specifically:

04 DEPARTMENT OF CONSERVATION
059 BUREAU OF PARKS & LANDS
Chapter 3: MAINE STATE AIDS TO NAVIGATION SYSTEM

SUMMARY: These rules present a uniform system for the buoying of the Maine Waters.

What exactly is meant by "the Maine Waters" is not clear from what I have found so far. Since some effort has been expended to make the system conform to IALA Region B and the Coast Guard, it may mean nearly everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom